ID for various claws

dingo2

Looking for help on identifying these three claws. The two on the left are from the scollard formation, and the one on the right is from the Dinosaur Park formation. 

IMG_20210429_210814.jpg

IMG_20210429_210842.jpg

IMG_20210429_211202.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

All three are Theropod.  Think the two on the left are Ornithomimid and the other might be Caenagnathid but like to see the ventral side of all three and the left lateral view.

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

All three are Theropod.  Think the two on the left are Ornithomimid and the other might be Caenagnathid but like to see the ventral side of all three and the left lateral view.

How are you able to identify that they are all theropod claws? To my untrained eye, the two from the scollard look somewhat similar to Thescelosaurus claws.

Thanks

The first left claw is a Ornithomimid possibly "cf Struthiomimus" foot claw.  The dark claw is an Caenagnathid foot claw there are several from DPF.

I'm not getting a good look of your middle one.

Can you retake STRAIGHT in photos of both sides and bottom.

Trying to understand the circled feature.

IMG_20210430_102604.thumb.jpg.13562037e1b972b3bd8323ae826c2767.jpg.c7800ace3ad3523a38134ae08e81df91.jpg

2 minutes ago, dingo2 said:

How are you able to identify that they are all theropod claws? To my untrained eye, the two from the scollard look somewhat similar to Thescelosaurus claws.

Experience is one, I have a nice collection of Hell Creek claws and can compare between them.  Pachy and Thescelosaurus claws are very wide and have a flatish profile.

Not sure you've seen this, if not check it out

8 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Not sure you've seen this, if not check it out

Thanks! I'll give it a read. 

@troodon would you be able to help with the ID of either of these two claws? The larger one is from dinosaur Park formation and the smaller one is from the scollard. From your guide I am thinking that the big one is Tyrannosaurus. 

IMG_20210418_223231.jpg

IMG_20210430_140528.jpg

IMG_20210430_140539.jpg

IMG_20210430_140836.jpg

IMG_20210430_140856.jpg

IMG_20210430_140947.jpg

Your second claw is an Alvarezsauridae foot claw.  From that formation it's pretty rare.  Are you sure about the locality and formation?  Do you have a locality?

The taxons from the Horseshoe Canyon Fm is called  Albertonykus borealis and Hell Creek Fm is Trierarchuncus prairiensis.   So this one should probably be called cf Trierarchuncus prairiensis 

Your first one is a foot claw from an indeterminate Tyrannosaurid 

• I found this Informative 1

I'm pretty certain that it is from the scollard formation. I found it beside the rubble of a 3.5" rex rooth that was in a million pieces. I'll make a post soon with the teeth I've found from the scollard, as I wanted to get your opinion about them. I've found two complete big ones that I think are fat enough to the point that they can only be t-rex, but the other day I found one that was around 2.5" and it seemed suspiciously slim to me. From what I've read, any big tooth from the scollard is rex though.

The big teeth are Tyrannosaurid ( Daspletosaurus, Albertosaurus or Trex ) all dependent on where it was found in Alberta.

Yeah I'm aware of that. I've done a good amount of reading on how to identify what formation you are in. I think I've recognized the coal seams that are near the kpg extinction line in the areas that I search, and those claws and the teeth I look for are found at a high elevation very close to the kpg. I'm pretty sure the stuff I'm finding is rex material, which means I'm in the scollard. I also take the GPS coordinates of where I find stuff.

Is it better etiquette to post the teeth that I've found in what I think is the scollard in this thread, or should I make another?

Edited by dingo2

On 4/30/2021 at 2:16 PM, dingo2 said:

@troodon would you be able to help with the ID of either of these two claws? The larger one is from dinosaur Park formation and the smaller one is from the scollard. From your guide I am thinking that the big one is Tyrannosaurus. 

IMG_20210418_223231.jpg

IMG_20210430_140528.jpg

IMG_20210430_140539.jpg

IMG_20210430_140836.jpg

IMG_20210430_140856.jpg

IMG_20210430_140947.jpg

Assuming your Scollard Formation locality is correct, the large claw is a left pes hallux claw of Tyrannosaurus rex. 

Edited by hxmendoza

@Troodon I’m curious as to how you identified the second small claw as Alvarezsauridae.  Also the large claw does seem to be a Tyrannosaur foot claw.  But as both Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus are known from the formation and you can’t distinguish their claws it would be best to label it as Tyrannosaurid indet.  

18 hours ago, hxmendoza said:

Assuming your Scollard Formation locality is correct, the large claw is a left pes hallux claw of Tyrannosaurus rex. 

Correction: I misread the locality on the large claw. I see now that he wrote Dinosaur  Park Formation. So it is a left pes hallux claw from Daspletosaurus or Gorgosaurus.

7 hours ago, dinosaur man said:

@Troodon I’m curious as to how you identified the second small claw as Alvarezsauridae.  Also the large claw does seem to be a Tyrannosaur foot claw.  But as both Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus are known from the formation and you can’t distinguish their claws it would be best to label it as Tyrannosaurid indet.  

@dinosaurman The identification of the smaller claw as Alvarezsauridae by @Troodon is correct. It is the singular manus claw most (there are exceptions) of these taxa share. 

Go look up photos of these Alvarezsauridae hand claws. Look at the proximal portions. You’ll see the morphology is an exact match. I won’t post pics. I’ll let you do the research.

Edited by hxmendoza

4 hours ago, dinosaur man said:

@Troodon I’m curious as to how you identified the second small claw as Alvarezsauridae.  

Here is my post in how to ID alvarezsaurid claws 

Here

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

Here is my post in how to ID alvarezsaurid claws 

Here

Thank you so much!  I don’t think I’ve seen this post before.