Newbie Mistake - Did I Toss a Megalodon Tooth?

Nreekay

Hey Folks,

Going through some photos from earlier this month. I never kept this rock. But upon looking at this pic more and more...did I toss a megalodon tooth?! Or is this just some kind of cool looking rock?

E&B - The forever newbies.

E99E727E-2DC9-4E97-9564-5216F77F2B7F.png

5B302430-A661-437F-9006-BD3F4D7C2AD1.png

Edited by Nreekay

Nope. Looks like a rock, to me. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Nope. Looks like a rock, to me. 

(Wipes hand over brow)

Nice. So no mastodon tooth?

Absolutely not a tooth.  Perhaps a very fragmentary piece of a shell.  Nothing to lose any sleep over for sure.

Don

• Thank You 1

• Nreekay changed the title to Newbie Mistake - Did I Toss a Megalodon Tooth?
2 hours ago, Nreekay said:

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Absolutely not a tooth.  Perhaps a very fragmentary piece of a shell.  Nothing to lose any sleep over for sure.

Don

Thanks Don!

Edited by Nreekay

I agree, I think you are safe.  Certainly not a Megalodon tooth, that would be a most unusual find in your area I believe (unusual as in, not happening).  Now Mastodon is at least in the realm given your ice age sediments, but I don't think it is (was) that either.  Sleep soundly.  :rolleyes:

• Thank You 1

i am glad for you that it was not a meg.  Second thoughts being what they are,  i try to  never throw out something with potential while collecting.  It can always be tossed after you get home.  I have a very nice rock garden to confuse the next geologist

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, ClearLake said:

I agree, I think you are safe.  Certainly not a Megalodon tooth, that would be a most unusual find in your area I believe (unusual as in, not happening).  Now Mastodon is at least in the realm given your ice age sediments, but I don't think it is (was) that either.  Sleep soundly.  :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, jpc said:

Rock.  This is possibly the only time someone is happy to hear us call his find... just a rock.  

1 hour ago, val horn said:

i am glad for you that it was not a meg.  Second thoughts being what they are,  i try to  never throw out something with potential while collecting.  It can always be tossed after you get home.  I have a very nice rock garden to confuse the next geologist

Thanks for all your insights! I’m so used to seeing the typical smooth round kind of rocks that something like this could = fossil. I will sleep easy tonight.

E&B