Pterosaur jaw -- I think is actually bird

FF7_Yuffie

Hello, any thoughts on this?

It is sold as pterosaur remains--jaw pieces and a vertebra, from Ouled Abdoun Basin, Morocco. From the Cretaceous--unfortunately from an old German collection, so the information is limited.

240mm x 105mm

Now, I think it is misidentified and is actually a bird--possibly Dasornis because on the first pic, the jaw has a long tooth and then a few of the smaller mini "teeth" which matches a drawing I found in a paper of similar birds, which I've also attached. If it's Dasornis or a bird, then that would mean it isn't Cretaceous in age?

The preservation seems odd to me though---Most bird fossils I see from Ouled Abdoun, the bones are much lighter in color. 

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

v teeth two.jpg

vert.jpg

v teeth one.jpg

dasornis.png

thumbnail_v bone one.jpg

thumbnail_v bone two.jpg

222.jpg

This looks more like fish to me.  :unsure:  :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Cheers, thanks for the help. The little tiny teeth inbetween the big teeth threw me when I saw the picture of the Dasornis jaw since they look similar.

Any idea what type of fish? or is it one of the many unidentifiable fish jaw pieces from that area?

Certainly fish - and the answer might actually be a pretty easy one: I think this is Enchodus, the "saber toothed herring", well known from late Cretaceous marine rocks.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

I see there is a clear opinion here that this is a fish but I just want to say that birds are here since the end of the jurassic- begining of the Cretaceous era.

Yup a classic Enchodus fish... sorry :(  It's a nice enchodus though! I've only seen a few fossils from this formation!

• Enjoyed 1

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

10 hours ago, Mioplosus_Lover24 said:

Yup a classic Enchodus fish... sorry :(  It's a nice enchodus though! I've only seen a few fossils from this formation!

Thanks for taking a look, everyone. Appreciated.

Yeah, it's definitely a nice jaw piece. Unfortunately it's for sale at pterosaur jaw price :p