North Texas Vertebra

facehugger

Hey y'all. Long time since I did a post. Hope everybody is well. Found a vertebra in a duck creek exposure, Grayson County, Texas. The hexagonal shape has me wondering - is this possibly ichthyosaur material? Many thanks.

20210505_180144.thumb.jpg.9c695b7a5ae7c8917c012f1db835c9a5.jpg20210505_180301.thumb.jpg.b5f67178200937995b1c596e984839c5.jpg20210505_180208.thumb.jpg.c0e3a26dca63ee372ee333668ba60e68.jpg20210505_180247.thumb.jpg.ee1b04334a96ecbb964373315a20bbe6.jpg20210505_180227.thumb.jpg.842b68414b5a248f34b473e0ee4eab9b.jpg

BTW - the new features and UI totally rock!!! I was able to do this entire post from my phone. Great work, y'all!!!

• Enjoyed 1

Are you sure this is not more than one vertebra?

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Are you sure this is not more than one vertebra?

Don't see any indications of being multiple vertebra. It is slightly crushed on one side.

Now this is interesting. Not mosasaur, plesiosaur, and I don't think it's ichthyosaur - seems too proportionally thick and is not hourglass-shaped in cross section.

...dinosaur?? @Troodon@jpc@LordTrilobite

• I found this Informative 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

2 hours ago, facehugger said:

Don't see any indications of being multiple vertebra. It is slightly crushed on one side.

I think it needs to be prepped before anything definitive can be concluded.  Regardless, of what it is, any vertebrate find from the Cretaceous (Albian) Duck Creek Formation is uncommon.  Congratulations.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

I don't see what can be prepped further here. Looks like a mostly complete but seriously crushed vertebra centrum.

It looks like a dorsal or caudal vertebra.

• I Agree 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Pretty interesting.  Have to ask how certain are you it's from that deposit?  My brief search showed that the only vertebrates found were  Fish and Shark.  So anything else would be pretty cool.  

• I Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Pretty interesting.  Have to ask how certain are you it's from that deposit?  My brief search showed that the only vertebrates found were  Fish and Shark.  So anything else would be pretty cool.  

A few years back, a guest that I brought to the same exposure found an ichthyosaur vert. You can find it in my post history, about 2 years ago. The community agreed it was ichthyosaur, a very rare find for duck creek, but not outside the realm of possibility. It was a much larger vert, with a similar hexagonal appearance.

9 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

Now this is interesting. Not mosasaur, plesiosaur, and I don't think it's ichthyosaur - seems too proportionally thick and is not hourglass-shaped in cross section.

...dinosaur?? @Troodon@jpc@LordTrilobite

I also thought perhaps too thick for ichthyosaur, but was the closest marine animal that I could match with - your theories are fascinating, though!!!

1 hour ago, facehugger said:

Here is another angle, not included in the first set:

Ahh, a useful view.  

This is pretty exciting - can't offer help myself but can't wait to see what everyone agrees on

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Ahh, a useful view.  

Never hesitate to correct me, or ask for additional data!!! And again, love what you guys have done with the site since the last update / overhaul. 

2 hours ago, Jared C said:

This is pretty exciting - can't offer help myself but can't wait to see what everyone agrees on

Indeed. I was also concerned that the vert was too thick and lacked the hourglass cross sectioning to be ichthyosaur - but again, it was the closest match to a species I was more familiar with - because I live in Texas, my dino knowledge is VERY limited. But @ThePhysicist has thrown out a very intriguing suggestion, and I know that sometimes rogue dino material got caught up in our marine Cretaceous, so...maybe?!

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1