Is this just a rock or some type of skull ?

Katelyn123

Is this just a rock or could it be a skull? I'm thinking a rock but wanted to make sure before I got rid of it. 

received_493664178444556.jpeg

received_801166484108961.jpeg

it is mildly skull shaped, but it has zero bone structure/texture.   A rock.

• I Agree 2

Just now, Rockwood said:

My hammerish side would need to know what's inside it first. :)

Haha would you just smash it or chisel a certain place ?

9 minutes ago, jpc said:

it is mildly skull shaped, but it has zero bone structure/texture.   A rock.

Thanks ! I was about to throw it up then my son said it's a dinosaur. Haha so I figured I would ask. Because it does have what could have been an eye socket and stuff. But I actually don't know what a real dinosaur eye socket looks like lol. Thank you 

1 hour ago, Katelyn123 said:

Haha would you just smash it or chisel a certain place ?

You could try to open up the crack, but I doubt it will split well. What ever gets the job done. Just be safe and shield your eyes.

15 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

You could try to open up the crack, but I doubt it will split well. What ever gets the job done. Just be safe and shield your eyes.

Always... I'm the queen of smashing rocks hahaha ty

Apparently not everyone has had a chance to really check out this type of fossil. So rare it seems to not exist. Paradelia is a necessary trait to be able to see the less than obvious. But we are not talking about images on toast.  I saw your macro photos too.

They most likely are just what you think they are. There will be some revisions to textbooks when this gets sorted out. No one knew an asteroid killed the dinosaurs when I was a kid. Start looking for spine marks where the neck was snapped off. Your perception is just fine.20210512_171653.thumb.jpg.001d9df1bf481dbe15b254e05d422f4e.jpg

22 minutes ago, Rockonoclast said:

Apparently not everyone has had a chance to really check out this type of fossil. So rare it seems to not exist. Paradelia is a necessary trait to be able to see the less than obvious. But we are not talking about images on toast.

?? I don't quite understand what you are getting at. Can you please speak plain English and mind your spelling. Do you mean to say that you believe that all of her rocks are fossils?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I am disagreeing with the general consensus that all of her finds are simply rocks.

Ya got me on the spelling. But it looked right.:DOH:

2 hours ago, Rockonoclast said:

I am disagreeing with the general consensus that all of her finds are simply rocks.

Ya got me on the spelling. But it looked right.:DOH:

I’m sorry but this is not a fossil. Neither are any of the rocks you’ve posted so far. It and they have no bone structure at all. It not rare or unexamined. It is a rock plain and simple

On 5/7/2021 at 5:27 PM, Katelyn123 said:

Because it does have what could have been an eye socket and stuff. But I actually don't know what a real dinosaur eye socket looks like lol. Thank you 

Here are examples of eye sockets and bone structures..

A2000955-D223-4681-9201-64CD75CE0A5F.jpeg

Edited by Randyw
  • I Agree 1

Some thoughts on fossil skulls:

Only a very small percentage of the animals that ever lived are preserved as identifiable fossils, otherwise we would be wading in them.

About any vertebrate leaves one skull amongst a lot of vertebrae, ribs and other bones. In most vertebrates the skulls are rather fragile.(except the teeth, those are more stable than bone, and many per capita). That is the reason there are a lot of fossil teeth around (especially sharks, because they have been around for a very long time and are rather well equipped with teeth). Fossil vertebrae are also relatively common. Skulls are exceptional. But they are very much over-represented among the maybe-fossils that people ask about. So ask yourself how the chances are to find 4 skulls in a place without one vertebra, tooth or rib fragment.

That is where pareidolia comes into it, recognizing heads and faces is one of our visual systems main task. And as has been mentioned before, seeing a face where there is none is not as dangerous as missing the one that watches you, so that is how human and many other mammal brains work.

Keep looking for structure, not shape, because the world is full of head shapes, but the real ones have structures too.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/101876-what-is-this/&tab=comments#comment-1131950

Best regards

Jan

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

4 hours ago, Rockonoclast said:

Apparently not everyone has had a chance to really check out this type of fossil. So rare it seems to not exist. Paradelia is a necessary trait to be able to see the less than obvious. But we are not talking about images on toast.  I saw your macro photos too.

They most likely are just what you think they are. There will be some revisions to textbooks when this gets sorted out.

No one knew an asteroid killed the dinosaurs when I was a kid. Start looking for spine marks where the neck was snapped off. Your perception is just fine.

20210512_171653.thumb.jpg.001d9df1bf481dbe15b254e05d422f4e.jpg

What type of fossil are you referring to?

Pareidolia is not helpful in finding fossils in metamorphic rocks, like the one you posted. 

There is no fossil there at all.  :(  

I would be extremely surprised if any textbooks changed over claims of rocks being fossils.  :headscratch:

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me