Samurai

Hello! one of my coworkers brought in this fossil since they knew I was interested in that sorta thing and when I first saw it my mind went to coral but they said it was from California and was told it was a Mammoth molar, so I had to change my theory. While I know it is not a Mammoth molar it definitely has a tooth like structure, and in my opinion, could look like a heavily worn down Mastodon molar but I wanted someone who is an expert in this field/ knows more information than me to help with the identification. 

20210508-101624.jpg

20210508-101718.jpg

20210508-101708.jpg

20210508-101527-HDR.jpg

20210508-101634.jpg

I didn't get to measure it exactly but my rough estimate was around 13cm

Looks like the rudist bivalves which I've seen our Texan members post frequently. If it is a rudist, it was most likely found in Cretaceous deposits.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

6 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

Looks like the rudist bivalves which I've seen our Texan members post frequently. If it is a rudist, it was most likely found in Cretaceous deposits.

Thank you! I haven't really seen anything like this before as I never see these where I hunt and don't live in California. Thank you once again for the useful information!

That is a nice complete Rudist colony.   Rare to find intact piece like that, since most we find are broken down here. 

Edited by Creek - Don

It could be a California fossil barnacle. Tamiosoma gregaria is very similar.

550E32BD-3B0F-42C3-9B6F-853598CC1D6A.jpeg

7808C747-00B1-4FCF-B0E5-50D38BE04E69.jpeg

7EB8F8DA-91DF-4CB6-BF79-88C72D507E59.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

My thoughts also went to rudist but the unusual barnacle, which is new on my fossil radar, also seems a good fit. The only thing I am certain of is that it is 100% NOT a mammoth molar. Cool fossil nonetheless. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken