What is this?

CrimsonNight

Reminds me of the carbon rich shales found near coal and graphite mines.

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I think that it's just a small piece of shale.

Maybe better picture is needed. I had seen North Dakota wood that had been compressed into shale/charcoal. The fossils in background is a clue to ocean environment. 

5 hours ago, Tetradium said:

Maybe better picture is needed. I had seen North Dakota wood that had been compressed into shale/charcoal. The fossils in background is a clue to ocean environment. 

I found these in the Alafia river, which could have been ocean in the past, other things found nearby were Giant tortoise scute, Giant beaver incisor, tiger shark, and lemon shark teeth.

I thought it was petrified wood, but I am not sure either.

Here are the side pics you all asked for.

20210509_124931.jpg

20210509_125039.jpg

Hmm, that side is interesting, I'm still with wood or whatever Rockwood says it is :)

It looks like wood to me either.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

33 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

It's petrified wood which is river-stained.

Gee, Harry, I don't think I'd be swimming in a river that did that to it. 

What makes you say that ?

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

Gee, Harry, I don't think I'd be swimming in a river that did that to it. 

What makes you say that ?

Long experience with river-stained wood.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Its petrified wood for 100% sure. A little chuck of a massive log if the rings are that straight. 

4 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Long experience with river-stained wood.

But, where is the wood structure ? Inferred from experience ?

:look: We need to see this dry at the very least.

Do hardwoods preserve better than softwoods or does it matter?  If a peice of wood tumbled around in sandy water for eons isn't it possible all the wood characteristics were literally sanded away? It looks similar to this petrified Cypress.

da009952-9b76-466b-97f7-1e0535dfdc31.jpg

Edited by Lone Hunter
  • I found this Informative 1

11 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Do hardwoods preserve better than softwoods or does it matter?

Its vice-versa. At least in many terrestrial environments, soft wood (spruce, pine) is more resistant to biogenic decay than hardwood (oak, beech). It may depend on the resin content.

Interestingly, also most jets are attributed to soft wood (angiosperm wood), but this might be another twist of the story.

Edit: Well, there was no gymnosperm wood around the time most jets formed... :DOH:

11 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

If a peice of wood tumbled around in sandy water for eons isn't it possible all the wood characteristics were literally sanded away?

Its not the tumbling (it only abrades the wood), the wood structure will be destroyed by biogenic activity and/or by a process called gelification.

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

39 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

the wood structure will be destroyed by biogenes activity and/or by a process called gelification.

Isn't it unusual for the linear nature and right angles to be so rounded and wavy ? 

As shown this hasn't overcome that first round of shale like photos yet in my opinion.

@Rockwood, I just wanted to say that wood structure / growth rings / wood grain is not destroyed by the abrasive action of sediment-laden water (tumbling), but by bio(geo)chemical processes.

Concerning the particular specimen, the first pics look like shale, the further pics more like wood (I even get a xylite feeling...;)). I don´t know what it is. And it does not look particularly strongly tumbled.

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

For those thinking this is shale, consider where it was found. ;)

I agree this looks more like a piece of river stained petrified wood.

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

The fracture patterns and the tight and very regular uniform wavy pattern in the grain that’s visible along the side make me think this piece may be ivory...  a proboscidean tusk fragment.

Given its size in your hand, does it feel heavy like a piece of chert or does it feel more light weight like a piece of wood or plastic?    

Note the piece looks somewhat fragile and unstable based on what looks like active cracking and loose fragments in this view.  This is typical of fossil ivory preservation in South East Texas and not at all like petrified wood in the area which is basically very solid stable chunks of chert.

20210509_125039.jpg.8ec353d2c09f34751bd861918d626988.jpg

Edited by darrow
  • I found this Informative 4

7 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

@Rockwood, I just wanted to say that wood structure / growth rings / wood grain is not destroyed by the abrasive action of sediment-laden water (tumbling), but by bio(geo)chemical processes.

Concerning the particular specimen, the first pics look like shale, the further pics more like wood (I even get a xylite feeling...;)). I don´t know what it is. And it does not look particularly strongly tumbled.

Franz Bernhard

Just clarifying I said that not Rockwood, he probably knows better.

@darrow makes a good case for ivory with the rotated image and subtle evidence of schreger lines on the end grain.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Here are some examples of petrified (apatite) wood from a river.  Note there is a variety of overall form, but the stream abrasion typically follows and exposes the wood grain.

1864042530_tettwigsroughB.JPG.87f6ec653be6988872a35cc072bbb7ef.JPG

1921207403_twigsX15E.JPG.aad4ee629d00531d330a898516435483.JPGtwigsx04_CC.jpg.c991312d098604a666f45479e14b7403.jpgtwigsX05.JPG.8da7f11f9bc21c16448506d8a99e975a.JPG

pet twigs rough A.JPG

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 3
  • Thank You 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

9 hours ago, darrow said:

The fracture patterns and the tight and very regular uniform wavy pattern in the grain that’s visible along the side make me think this piece may be ivory...  a proboscidean tusk fragment.

This I can see. Still would like the views dry though.

No. I guess I couldn't before. It's been the first tag. :)