Fossils from Colorado

Found123

Hi there, 

We recently moved to the Colorado Front Range from Michigan. We’re used to hunting for petoskey stones on the Great Lakes. Here are some of our new CO finds and we’d really appreciate any information! 
thank you so much! We are so excited for this new land to experience.

40F36442-6603-483A-B815-2C23BBEE1990.jpeg

3F8AE1D3-2136-4B1B-9607-B0E7E5DF99D0.jpeg

9B887B56-1C7C-4F4D-83AC-3978CA4AF15E.jpeg

0713A9E0-D2FE-45E5-9066-7FAC06244236.jpeg

A6B26F09-A7D4-4F73-A545-C6C7FF7D5A0E.jpeg

DC9614BA-4340-400E-8232-283F7D4B6CAF.jpeg

276688C9-8CE8-419C-934C-590A3129DA88.jpeg

I have a few ideas, and less knowledge.  The biggest piece in the last photo looks like it might be a coprolite, the second picture from the top appears to be a tooth.  Can you provide more geological information and individual sharp pictures to give people a easier place to start.

• I Agree 1

Thanks so much- 

these were found in layers of limestone and chert around Pueblo Colorado. I wish I knew more about the geology, I’m sorry. Next time I will take a photo of where we are digging- you can see the layers better.

ive tried to shoot some better pictures. 
I believe the jagged pieces are bone. 
thanks again!

74538670-4065-4FB2-AC31-D387F55EECDC.jpeg

3745EA80-7EA8-468C-8394-94D737E11FF2.jpeg

3201AD8A-2E97-4B97-8A0A-013512914261.jpeg

FF44E5CE-78DE-42BE-90EC-94D1D4070881.jpeg

75A97247-B495-4DA9-9D0F-2A3945A07D11.jpeg

4892596B-663E-4332-92FE-DE841C95546E.jpeg

A06CF69A-3D28-4816-A90B-1636957DFD7D.jpeg

0F114DC4-CB3B-49BF-AE65-4204C9D1EAB6.jpeg

6F672FE9-21C9-410B-821D-94DFC5967363.jpeg

I think most of these are geologic. the only one I would be for sure of is the tooth but have no idea what animal it may have come from. Since you know where they are from you can use a geologic map and find the exact location and then just let us know the age of the rocks.

https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/mapview/?center=-97,39.6&zoom=4 

• I Agree 2

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

7 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

I think most of these are geologic. the only one I would be for sure of is the tooth but have no idea what animal it may have come from. Since you know where they are from you can use a geologic map and find the exact location and then just let us know the age of the rocks.

https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/mapview/?center=-97,39.6&zoom=4 

Could be squid piece. (I forgot the name for the straight kind). Plus a few of the rounded ones look like sequoia cones.  The needles ones are NOT fossils. Last pic is NOT fossil but just mineral veins. I see a shell piece - kind of like scallop but not sure about the other one - could be broken up big oyster. 

4 minutes ago, Tetradium said:

Could be squid piece. (I forgot the name for the straight kind)

I don't believe it is a belemnite. The specimen here appears to narrow quickly and there is a line in the middle of the second picture along with an interesting color and shininess. While belemnites could have some of these traits I would lean towards tooth although there's a good chance I'm wrong

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

1 minute ago, Top Trilo said:

I don't believe it is a belemnite. The specimen here appears to narrow quickly and there is a line in the middle of the second picture along with an interesting color and shininess. While belemnites could have some of these traits I would lean towards tooth although there's a good chance I'm wrong

Ok that's fine with me. I'm not experienced with the area anyway and just giving a second opinion. That one broken sphere piece look definitely like a cone to me. Most of the other spheres look more like typical mineral formations. 

Some of the  ones in the last picture look like some kind of bedrock so no fossils if that's the case.

the one with the fan is a trace fossil  a have heard it called a roster tail, and it is a feeding trace;  I have seen it in devonian formations but am not sure if it is restricted to devonian age.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, val horn said:

the one with the fan is a trace fossil  a have heard it called a roster tail, and it is a feeding trace;  I have seen it in devonian formations but am not sure if it is restricted to devonian age.

I think it is a piece of an Inoceramid... a large Cretaceous clam common in and around your part of Colorado.  They can be IDed by this crystallypattern, and around the hinge you get the pattern in a fan-shape like this one.  The only other one I think is a fossil is the tooth.  Looks lie a broken shark tooth.  

I agree with the others, I see innoceramid fragments, but mostly I see limonite, selenite, and various pyrites similar to what I find across the southern plains and front range.

The good news is you have the right idea, and live in a great place for multiple fossil day trips!