Kem Kem Toe Bone

FF7_Yuffie

Hi,

Any thoughts on the ID of this? It is labelled as a theropod toe bone from Kem Kem. 5cm x 4.

The preservation seems odd to me. Most toe bones sold from Kem Kem seem to be that distinctive yellowish orange color. Is the theropod ID right, or is croc/reptile?

Thanks for the help

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

You are good I've seen them from the KK with this preservation, its been exposed to the elements.  It's a theropod phalanx.

• Thank You 1

While identifying isolated bones from KK is difficult in most occasions (mainly because of few associated skeletons being described formally);there're certain details that remind me of a Spinosaurus distal pedal phalanx (well excavated oval "depressions",overall robustness,slightly flat lateral profile,etc. ). Here's an image showing the pes of FSAC-KK 11888. Based on the morphology and proportions,I would suggest a third phalanx of the third digit (PIII-DIII) or the second phalanx o the fourth(PII-DIV).

Spinosaurus_foot_restoration.thumb.jpg.c9037da7aeb7d25db56a395e76ebc0fb.jpg

Edited by MBL13
  • Thank You 1

Nice, thanks for taking a look. Bidding ended last night, but luckily it's been relisted, so I've popped a bid in for it. 

Cheers

Looks to be tampered with. Seems to have repair at the least. But it might be a composite. That posterior lip looks suspicious.

I would personally avoid this one.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

Looks to be tampered with. Seems to have repair at the least. But it might be a composite. That posterior lip looks suspicious.

I would personally avoid this one.

Oh, wow. Ok, thanks for the warning. Appreciated.