Fossilhunters fish prep

fossilhunter21

I'm going to take a break from the fish I have been working on and work on a different one for a day or two.

This one is about 6-7 inches long.

20210608_091651.jpg

I guess I will not be working on this one (it's a nightmare).  :b_wdremel: :megalodon_broken01:

20210608_094201.jpg

Edited by fossilhunter21

It looks like I won't be able to prep any more fossils (other than the fish that I have been working on) until I get some better tools, which  may be a few years.  ;)

2 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

It looks like I won't be able to prep any more fossils (other than the fish that I have been working on) until I get some better tools, which  may be a few years.  ;)

Whats wrong with the tools you are using that you wont do any further preps?  You seem to be doing a great job with what you have.

• Thank You 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

5 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

Whats wrong with the tools you are using that you wont do any further preps?  You seem to be doing a great job with what you have.

These ones are the easiest, The others are really hard. But I guess I could work on the harder ones for a little bit to see if I they are to hard or not. 

Thanks @hadrosauridae.  :) 

whats hard about them? Are they that grey bottom-cap layer?

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

It's the 18 inch layer, I keep scratching them or breaking them and the matrix is really hard 

Here it is after a little bit more work.

20210609_111936.jpg

Edited by fossilhunter21
  • Enjoyed 2

On 6/8/2021 at 3:43 PM, fossilhunter21 said:

It's the 18 inch layer, I keep scratching them or breaking them and the matrix is really hard 

Some of the 18” stuff is harder than others. You can try dampening the matrix with a sponge. This will soften it slightly.

• I found this Informative 1

I was just at Ulrick's and was talking with Mike.  Mike is the guy who runs it now.  Anyways, he mostly preps out the 18 inch by hand and only used an air abrasive unit for the hard to get areas around the verts and some head bones.  He uses what looks like a large nail set that has been sharpened at the pointed end.  The opposing end that is usually hammered on to set a nail is pushed on by the big thumb/hand mussle.  Not sure if this helps or not but I do wish you the best of luck.

RB

• I found this Informative 2

I like to use scribes for this kind of prep. 

My favorite is the General tools pocket scribe. 

81.jpg

They are rather inexpensive. And you can buy replacement tips, or re-sharpen the one that comes with it. 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

14 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I like to use scribes for this kind of prep. 

My favorite is the General tools pocket scribe. 

81.jpg

They are rather inexpensive. And you can buy replacement tips, or re-sharpen the one that comes with it. 

That would probably be better than what I am using (I am using a pin which is super thin and really easy to bend).

4 minutes ago, fossilhunter21 said:

That would probably be better than what I am using (I am using a pin which is super thin and really easy to bend).

Absolutely!  And usually less than 10.00 online. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

38 minutes ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Ah, I was thinking you were using a pinvise of some type.  Yes, GET A PINVISE!  Super cheap from sellers on amazon, and look for a set of sailmaking sewing needles.  It will come with multiple sizes (and thickness) of needles. I bought a set and 3 pinvise holders so I can always have a heavy/medium/fine needle ready for whatever I'm doing.

• I found this Informative 4

I also use syringe needles.  They are super sharp and angle to a point, or you can use them sideways to make more of a curved blade.  They come in a wide variety of sizes.  I got a bunch years ago from a lab that was shutting down, but I think you can buy them from places that sell veterinary supplies, like Tractor Supply.  I use an old syringe for the "handle".

Don

• I found this Informative 3