Western PA Specimen Collection - Fossils of Parks Township

cngodles

Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules here posting a link. I spent my weekend finally putting my catalog into a proper database, and creating a user interface for it. I used to use Google Sheets, which is pretty great. If I wanted to, I could use them as the source of data, but I decided to create a proper MYSQL database so I can keep relationships across tables, such as the stratigraphy of particular find locations. I have many more improvements coming for it, but it is at least functional right now.

Everything from CG-0001 to CG-0161 is from the Glenshaw Formation, Conemaugh Group.

https://fossil.15656.com/catalog/

I also maintain a thread with individual photos here, just not everything:

https://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/94495-pennsylvanian-fossils-from-the-glenshaw-formation/

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

Just now, jpc said:

What software or program

I use SQLYOG to manage it visually. I've been writing SQL queries as part of my career for the past 20 years, so writing the structure is 2nd nature at this point. It's still evolving, as I originally placed geologic formation/group in the same rows as the specimens, until I changed mid-stream and made locations their own table.

I'm still filling in the gaps, for example I need to hunt down the Class, Order and Family of the genus Antiquatonia. That's a pain for plants I'm finding, where sources want to omit Phylum for Clade, etc.

image.thumb.png.f3be537ad2d8ac576bf29b603d979e61.png

• 1 year later...

Took the time to scroll through your specimens. Great collection!! Makes my collection from that formation look pretty small.

Mike

Edited by minnbuckeye
  • Thank You 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2022 at 7:28 AM, minnbuckeye said:

Makes my collection from that formation look pretty small.

Thank you! It's my primary formation, and I've got 3-4 times more in boxes needing prep or cataloging. Especially the Brush Creek material, it's very hard and doesn't want to let me remove the matrix. The Pine Creek is a pleasure, where I can actually prep things out quickly (albeit the specimens can mirror the condition, and be more fragile)

Also, just hit my 500th specimen: https://fossil.15656.com/catalog/specimen/CG-0500

CG-0500 - Poterioceras curtum

Kasimovian, Conemaugh Group, Glenshaw Formation, Pine Creek limestone

Scale bar = 2 cm.

This was my first complete specimen, and I took the time to gather all of the shell pieces. It also includes the closed shell from the posterior end which I had yet to see. It is iron stained, but it seems to rub off a bit. The large piece at the bottom right is from the underside.

CG-0500-Poterioceras-curtum-001c.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

• 1 month later...

Just as an update for this, I did put this back together. This is mostly the back the from previous photo.

CG-0500 - Poterioceras curtum

Kasimovian, Conemaugh Group, Glenshaw Formation, Pine Creek limestone.

Scale bar = 5 mm.

CG-0500-Poterioceras-curtum.jpg

• Enjoyed 2