Looks like a spine but it isn't

Mudlark

My guy found this while searching with a 365 nm uv lights for sodalite on a beach in Algoma WI. Lake Michigan. Can anyone offer a place for me to look for more information on what it could be? It is a 6 inch by 6 inch limestone rock. The object it 6 inches long and almost an inch wide. The backside of the rock has no fossil presence. The picture with the blue in the background is a 365 nm shortwave uv light. 

Thank you for looking 

20210511_201932.jpg

20210511_201940.jpg

20210511_201948.jpg

20210511_202009.jpg

20210511_202017.jpg

20210511_202030.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

What's the curvature like? Does it arch over the matrix?

Still hard to tell if it's curved or flat, can you get a side view in regular light from little further away?

There are brachiopods in the matrix. And some small crinoid stems. The blank face is the back side of rock.

20210511_214036.jpg

20210511_214058.jpg

20210511_214103.jpg

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Are you thinking it is a huge crinoid? There are baby ones in this picture.  Someone suggested a fish spine but I know nothing about fish from this time period. I do know they find fossilized fish scales about 30 minutes west of where we found this. I am not sure which fish scales they find. Again I used UV because regular light does really illuminate the limestone better when it's beach worn. We hunt for the florescent minerals. Uv let's us see fossils we otherwise wouldn't see. 

20210511_220441.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

The mystery specimen matches well with the siphuncle of Huronia sp. This excellent monograph has numerous species for comparison:

Foerste, A.F. 1924

Silurian Cephalopods of Northern Michigan. Contributions from the Museum of Geology, University of Michigan, 2(3):19-120  PDF LINK

image.thumb.png.ec75271df80b2060fa6884525212cd95.png

• I found this Informative 10
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I feel confident calling it some straight shelled cephalopod now (I couldn't tell how flat it was which was why I asked about the curvature). I'm much less confident about weighing in on the shell mold vs. siphuncle debate.

24 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I feel confident calling it some straight shelled cephalopod now (I couldn't tell how flat it was which was why I asked about the curvature). I'm much less confident about weighing in on the shell mold vs. siphuncle debate.

I really hadn't intended to either. My mistake.

The black light photo shows a nautiloid siphuncle beautifully, as opposed to a whole shell.

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

I really hadn't intended to either. My mistake.

I don't think you came across that way. I was merely stating my own uncertainty.

20 minutes ago, TqB said:

The black light photo shows a nautiloid siphuncle beautifully, as opposed to a whole shell.

In retrospect there are gaps present in the black light photo that I wouldn't expect from a mold of a shell.

2 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I don't think you came across that way. I was merely stating my own uncertainty.

Sorry. Only means I wasn't wrong quite right.  :)

I missed the point all together. Maybe had the general concept at least.

Thank you. I appreciate all the help. I am getting familiar with small fossils on the hash plates. Besides the large chunks of halosites we find this is one of the biggest creatures we have found so far. The uv lights really help us see things we would miss in daylight. 

I'm very late to this party, as I lost use of my computer for several hours due to a misbegotten windows update that froze me out.  @piranha is correct of course.  I have a similar Huronia siphuncle (except not as long) from correlative Silurian rocks around Lake Temiskaming.  This genus is known almost entirely from the robust siphuncles; specimens showing the rest of the shell are almost unknown.  The UV light effect is remarkable!   It would certainly make things much easier to spot glowing fossils at a distance.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

The Uv is pretty fascinating and helpful on fossils laying on beaches. We have found many cool fossils with it.