Hello. Found something that resembles a lizard face.

Lonjob

Hello 

it’s me again hahah.  I have not given up on finding a fossil. So here is my latest rock. Thank you for your time. 

I found it in Arlington wa.

weight is about .5lb.-1lb Maybe more still need to get a scale. 

I do find a lot of rocks like this where it looks like there is what seems to have fun shapes and colors. .lol

FYI I am still cleaning it. Not sure how to clean it faster then just distilled water with  picks/brush’s 

it is blue-ish Gray colors and has  a strange mouth like feature. And an eye ! It sure does look cool. And it’s about the 3rd one I found it’s just that this one was the best pic quality one. and I think the others could be turtles. 
Pic 1- dry after cleaning

pic2- after distilled water cleaning 

and the last pic is the back of the what I think is a head of some turtle lizard thing.

again thank you for your time and hope everyone has been good and safe! 

940534A4-022E-4020-976C-9BA6AC390543.jpeg

E13A3A28-80E1-47FD-A9ED-A7EBF93A8CCB.jpeg

11D7820F-179B-4182-95E7-A0AC456355E9.jpeg

Lol that is a lizard face if I ever saw one!  But not a real one, it wouldn't preserve like that.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

It looks as if the line may represent a brief pause in deposition, or a crack which formed subsequently.

• Thank You 1

9 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

Lol that is a lizard face if I ever saw one!  But not a real one, it wouldn't preserve like that.

Lol it does Dont it!   It looks like it’s puking up something.   I found it in this clay bank I have been messing with.   They other side looks more like the bone structure that match’s. Should I post it here ? 

6 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It looks as if the line may represent a brief pause in deposition, or a crack which formed subsequently.

I don’t understand sorry.  What is deposition? I ll google as well.  

8 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

it wouldn't preserve like that.

In the vast majority of cases what you are looking for is the texture of bone, or other fossilized material, typically hard, within a rock. The external shape of the rock is less often what is found.

1 minute ago, Lonjob said:

Should I post it here ?

Yes. As I see it it's your only hope. :)

• I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Lonjob said:

don’t understand sorry.  What is deposition?

Simply the process by which the rock was accumulated as sediment. I can't tell just what sedimentary environment it represents however.

In the background of last picture on right side I see another lizard head. :)

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

In the vast majority of cases what you are looking for is the texture of bone, or other fossilized material, typically hard, within a rock. The external shape of the rock is less often what is found.

Yes. As I see it it's your only hope. :)

0A698AC5-AEE3-4D6A-BBBC-A1D4F92D7676.jpeg

59815ED8-31A6-4A7A-9ACA-5C021EEC62E8.jpeg

4B6F6092-026C-4F3E-ADDD-96002B81CC45.jpeg

2D3665AA-A0BC-49F7-87E3-70B20C44E4AF.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Simply the process by which the rock was accumulated as sediment. I can't tell just what sedimentary environment it represents however.

Anything I can tell you about that will help? 

5 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

In the background of last picture on right side I see another lizard head. :)

That one is my special find I am still trying figure out how to ask and take pics of.  I wish I could have someone just come to my property and take a look around.  I keep finding super crazy things.  Like this 

4 minutes ago, Lonjob said:

Anything I can tell you about that will help?

Sorry.  No. I don't think these are bones.

• Thank You 1

I don’t have a good other side pic like I thought I will post one tomorrow after work. 

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

It is a very interesting piece.I have more like it but smaller. one even looked like a mini T. rex head lol. Just the size of a nickel or dime. 

If you were closer I would come. :).  The other rock I'm sure is just a rock also, but a good look alike. It's possible for a rock too look just like somethings outward appearance but what you would actually be finding is what was on the inside, like bones. You know like how people see Jesus on a potato chip? :)

Man nature is crazy. I love it.  Thank you all for the help. I will still post the new pics tomorrow. Just in case lol.  I just suck at lighting and pics as is. 

23 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Hi rock wood 

I have Taken what I think is the best pics I can lol.  Please take another look. 

if at all what species of animal would this rock resemble the most? We don’t have animals/lizards  like this at all in Washington that I have seen. Let alone arlington wa.  Hahah. 

Thank you for you time 

C2F38DAA-5981-421F-8A1F-35F15C535D78.jpeg

9BED9824-4B76-4F08-9712-942FC8117D8C.jpeg

D178D0D3-B02B-4856-9B93-EA4BF3633DE2.jpeg

8F99DA4C-4B25-4CBB-8FBA-CCA7F8DB1F4B.jpeg

Actually in the light it looks even less lizard like. That is to say it’s still just a rock.

no bones, no bone structure. No anatomy of any kind

• I Agree 2

39 minutes ago, Lonjob said:

if at all what species of animal would this rock resemble the most?

Using your logic as shown, spotted salamander. :)

But seriously; you can't think in todays terms when you are studying paleontology. Things typically fossilize, if at all, as a mostly decomposed skeleton. The texture of bone is usually the most obvious indication. It's appearance in life, or where the animal is found now, are of less importance.

Unfortunately, this is not the texture of bone, or the shape of a skull. You should not give up looking for, and learning about fossils though. It is a fun hobby.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Thank you ! I understand and trust I am not giving up. I will clean this puppy up more and I will add it to my weirdest rock collection.  

As for spotted salamander I had looked it up.  They had been all over the world it seems is that correct?  

8 hours ago, Lonjob said:

They had been all over the world it seems is that correct?  

The general form is ancient and world wide. The salamander as a group is much younger, but is distantly related.

I found an article on how they have fossil evidence of limb regrowth. I wonder in regards to my rock here. If perhaps it’s a cast. Like it was buried in ash from our near by volcano Mt. glacier or Mt. pilchuck and once the body decomposed the cavity was filled with minerals ? Is this possible? Haha I may be reaching but I can’t stop asking why. In my head. 

8 minutes ago, Lonjob said:

I wonder in regards to my rock here. If perhaps it’s a cast.

You're reaching....  ;)

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

3 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

You're reaching....  ;)

Really, really far. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

14 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Really, really far. 

Haha. Ok. Ok.  I have to say. This is the only place I have found that there is no maybe.  I enjoy the straight forward strict approach to the science of this. 

I hope I am not offending anyone I am trying to give a compliment to you all. The way you all have answered and responded has been idk what word to use. So I will use inspirational.  I still am asking why would it look like it does ? This is not my only find like this.    What makes it hard for me is old what else to look for around the ones I find.  

today I am busy doing a volunteer project at a women's shelter in north bend WA. With my business..but I will post a pic of the location of where I am finding such things.  It’s a creek and almost everything is black and redishbrown tints in regards to rocks. It’s the strangest thing. And I have never seen this before. 

thank you have to drive now. 

There are maybes all the time. 

Unfortunately, IDing fossils from photos can be difficult. 

However, knowing how fossils form, what they look like, and what can be found in your area all lead to being able to identify a lot of items by photo.

But we can be wrong, and there can be maybes. 

With many, many of us,  having years of experience finding and collecting all kinds of fossils, we have enough experience to be able to speak confidently about what we know.  ;) 

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me