Requesting fossil photographs for art project

stefphanni

I would like to use photographs of fossils as part of my digital artwork. I do not want to violate any copyright laws if I later sell the artwork. Does anyone know where I can find free-use images of fossils or does anyone mind sharing their personal fossil photographs with me? I will give credit to you for your photography if I decide to use the images in my work.  Fossils of any type and from any time period are appreciated.

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, stefphanni said:

Fossils of any type and from any time period are appreciated.

You might also search the archives at the Library of Congress. Most images are in the public domain. 

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/

Just note any rights or copyright that might exist and look for .....

Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.

(usually that covers published works before 1924. )

Speaking of .. this is kinda' cool:

service-pnp-cph-3c20000-3c27000-3c27700-3c27774r.jpg.4289883ab3be7423bf267e3f07ddb08b.jpg

I use images from the archives all the time, just not specifically fossils or fossil related. 

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by Brett Breakin' Rocks
  • Enjoyed 1

@stefphanni  Why not visit museum or university collections and photograph your own?  

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thank you all for your advicce. Brett, that is a cool photo :D 

Also, John.. that is a fantastic idea. I hadn't thought of that. 

As johnJ said go to a museum and photograph some yourself . I also think you may be inspired by your local museum displays their collection. Other than that look online for royalty free or images in the public domain . Just check they are copyrighted free.

all the best Bobby 

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/12/2021 at 8:28 PM, stefphanni said:

I would like to use photographs of fossils as part of my digital artwork. I do not want to violate any copyright laws if I later sell the artwork. Does anyone know where I can find free-use images of fossils or does anyone mind sharing their personal fossil photographs with me? I will give credit to you for your photography if I decide to use the images in my work.  Fossils of any type and from any time period are appreciated.

Thank you! 

Hi Stefphanni, I'm doing art photography with my fossils, they are mostly small fossil of brachiopods and trilobites, you can use theses picture if you want , as long as you give credit .

006R_IMG_20200715_175007b.thumb.jpg.09338414f0fd37596a6018f44b804ae0.jpg

192R_DSC05597b.JPG

One fossil a day will keep you happy all day:rolleyes:

Welcome to the FOSSIL ART