I can prep things other than fish.

Ptychodus04

Fish aren’t the only things I can prep (although recent posts may appear that way). :default_rofl:

I just wrapped up these trilobites for a fellow TFF member. All in, they took 5.5 hours. The larger one required significant consolidation as it was horribly cracked.

231ADD62-EB64-4267-873B-DB81231110FA.thumb.jpeg.4b61910a3f974b607ecb5f607249f000.jpeg

5C37255B-A0E2-49C1-88A9-9A0997C8C31A.thumb.jpeg.ae795ef476067a3646c76383f0bb2a4f.jpeg

35E329E8-5514-43CB-B9CC-166A59D99811.thumb.jpeg.c5cf818d165b54e5d5f4bebf3fe03285.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 17

Nice job Kris!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Funny looking fish, Kris. :P 

Bravo! Very nicely done! These can “burn” easily, so even more kudos to your great skills here. :dinothumb::b_wdremel:

• Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Those are some fine looking bugs Kris, nice work.  :Smiling:

Edited by fossilhunter21
  • Thank You 1

What? Yo do more than fish? Since when?!:headscratch::TongueOut:

Only kidding, fine prep job as ever! I imagine after years of practice you can figure out how to prep almost any thing, and I’ve seen excellent prep work from you on more than just fish before. ;) 

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Dang it all to heck Kriss!   All youve done is remind me of more stuff I have to prep!   I havent prepped out a trilo in quite a few years.   Nice job you did on those little buggers.

RB

• Enjoyed 1

@Ptychodus04 prepping trilobites.... Why do I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe? What's next? @Ludwigia prepping fish? @Kane prepping ammonites?  :zzzzscratchchin: They do look good though. :i_am_so_happy:

• Thank You 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Wow, I have a feeling that TFF member might have some more bugs for you to prep someday! How did you do it? (Like which tools, media, pressure settings)

Those are some awful pretty trilos! :dinothumb:

You sure did this pair justice!

I would also be interested in some insights on which media and pressure you used on these.

14 hours ago, daves64 said:

@Ptychodus04 prepping trilobites.... Why do I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe? What's next? @Ludwigia prepping fish? @Kane prepping ammonites?  :zzzzscratchchin: They do look good though. :i_am_so_happy:

12 hours ago, Scylla said:

Wow, I have a feeling that TFF member might have some more bugs for you to prep someday! How did you do it? (Like which tools, media, pressure settings)

It was a nice change to look for something other than fins! I even spent a bit of time yesterday working on a crab.

I did all the work on these trilobites in the blast cabinet under the microscope. This matrix is inconsistent. Where it is slightly weathered, it is soft and abrasives cut easily through it. Once you get past that, the fresh matrix is pretty hard and doesn’t respond well to abrasive. I spend the whole time alternating between scribe work with my Micro Jack 4 and soda abrasive. The soda is way softer than the matrix and the fossil, so it only removes minuscule amounts even at very high pressures (I was running at 85psi). But, there’s less of a chance of “burning” the trilobite with it over harder abrasives that would cut faster.

• I found this Informative 3

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice job in the prep there Kris!

Seeing this post has got me fired back up to get my blast cabinet done. I have a dual Comco tank and a single custom tank set up, just need to get everything all back together.

• Thank You 1

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

On 6/4/2021 at 11:01 AM, AeroMike said:

Very nice job in the prep there Kris!

Seeing this post has got me fired back up to get my blast cabinet done. I have a dual Comco tank and a single custom tank set up, just need to get everything all back together.

Always happy to promote another prepper's compulsion. :P  Can't wait to see what comes from your lab once you're up and running.