B.c. Canda/ Mcabee Site

Rain1950

I found this thru a Facebook link. It's a pay site; ancient lakebed. ABout 6 hour drive for me but would make a great weekend get-away

McAbee fossils

Pics start about halfway thru 1st page.

We did a paleo society field trip to the site a decade or so ago. Had a good time. There are some nice provincial parks in the area you can camp at, fish, etc.

The site itself is hoodoos with exposures on the sides. You want decent weather. It can be hot (90c) and dry.

Fossils? Lots of leaves and a few insects. Just enough to make it interesting.

Hint: do some research on the area before you go. I found some Eocene sites on my own north of Cache Creek. There was better preservation and more 'stuff'. The shale beds along Joseph Creek, etc. are fun to poke around in. They are away from civilization so you need a decent vehicle, food and so on.

We did a paleo society field trip to the site a decade or so ago. Had a good time. There are some nice provincial parks in the area you can camp at, fish, etc.

The site itself is hoodoos with exposures on the sides. You want decent weather. It can be hot (90c) and dry.

Fossils? Lots of leaves and a few insects. Just enough to make it interesting.

Hint: do some research on the area before you go. I found some Eocene sites on my own north of Cache Creek. There was better preservation and more 'stuff'. The shale beds along Joseph Creek, etc. are fun to poke around in. They are away from civilization so you need a decent vehicle, food and so on.

Thanks for that. Time to play with maps again

Anyway, the pics also showed tree cones, fish, and crawfish.

90C? HOLYS**T!

Thanks for that. Time to play with maps again

Anyway, the pics also showed tree cones, fish, and crawfish.

90C? HOLYS**T!

90F :D Trying to convert to that funny temperature scale you use but left in the 'c'.

Now that you mention it there were a couple of small fish found (none by me). Also a few flower imprints. I collected about 5 types of leaves and 3 or 4 insects.

bone digger

I've been to McAbees it is a really nice site. Came out with some real nice leaves and a few fish and insects. If you do a search on the internet you will come up with there website. Geofossil is right there are alot of other sites around as well.