LittleGeek1

I've now had it looked at by a geologist and the park paleontologist at "The Falls of the Ohio". The paleontologist was intrigued yet baffled by it. As far as the record books are concerned there were not supposed to be dinosaurs in Indiana. But I know for a fact that Tell City man in southwest Indiana found one in a creek. He had it authenticated. Maybe there never were dinosaurs in this area? But I can tell you who was. Mound builders. A friend of mine had a theory as to how the came to be here. That sometime,  somewhere, native peoples found them and carried them in their travels. At some point they cashed them just as they did with points, effigies, Ect. There was a huge Native American presence in the same area where I found mine. 

The geologist told me that it was similar to rocks found in the oceans. But that made no sense to him considering just how land locked we are. He also remarked about it's density. It's very heavy. His recommendation was that I continue my search someplace where I can have it x-rayed or have a scan performed on it. Can anyone tell me where I could have this done where I won't have to mail it. A place close enough that I could possibly drive there. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 

20181108_112738.jpg

Your phone number was edited out of your post.  Members can respond to you, here, or via PM.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

To me, this looks like the water-worn surface of a rather hard and/or tough rock. With possibly some softer inclusions (the dark spots), but that´s already a vague guess.

Would you like to post a pics of the whole specimen? From various angles and with scale (cm or inch)? Thank you!

1 hour ago, LittleGeek1 said:

It's very heavy.

Are you able to determine specific gravity? There is a simple method out there, only a digital kitchen scale is needed (depends on weight of the object, though).

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Drive to your nearest hospital (for the x-ray and scan, not for treatment :)) and then to your local natural science museum for the diagnosis. Good luck!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

49 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Good luck!

Filling out the paperwork on that one. :)

Please read through this post:

Your item is most likely NOT an egg., unfortunately.  :( 

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

As mentioned earlier a photo of the entire object would be quite helpful. The detail image is enough to indicate that it does not show the characteristic surface detail of an actual dinosaur egg. My guess (based on what I can see, past similar examples, and your local geology) is that it is likely a river-worn cobble possibly of a higher silica composition which would account for the resulting shiny smooth surface.

When you believe you've found an example of a type of fossil that should not be in your local area, the odds of this are already stacked against that assertion. Carl Sagan is noted for the famous phrase, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" and claims of dinosaur eggs (a rare and extraordinary type of fossil in the first place) being found in an area where the geology does not support them will require additional proof which can start with additional photos taken outside where the bright light will allow your camera to get well lit and focused images.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 2

16 hours ago, LittleGeek1 said:

The geologist told me that it was similar to rocks found in the oceans. But that made no sense to him considering just how land locked we are.

If this is indeed what the geologist said, he needs to take a refresher course!  All of the bedrock formations in The Falls of Ohio area are Paleozoic marine deposits, ie deposited in an ocean. Indiana was covered by shallow seas through much of the Paleozoic. How land locked Indiana is now has little to do with the landscape that existed hundreds of millions of years ago when the rocks were deposited. I’m with the others, I’d like to see your whole rock. Thanks

1 hour ago, ClearLake said:

If this is indeed what the geologist said, he needs to take a refresher course!  All of the bedrock formations in The Falls of Ohio area are Paleozoic marine deposits, ie deposited in an ocean. Indiana was covered by shallow seas through much of the Paleozoic. How land locked Indiana is now has little to do with the landscape that existed hundreds of millions of years ago when the rocks were deposited. I’m with the others, I’d like to see your whole rock. Thanks

Found in the oceans is distinct from formed in the oceans, however. Perhaps some slack is in order ? :)

7 hours ago, ClearLake said:

I'm aware of this fact. But the specimen that I have doesn't seem to be that old. And the creek from where it was found us a slate bottom creek. The geologist told me the same thing about it appearing to be a water worn stone. But he also said it didn't belong where I found it. Ive found huge pieces of petrified wood as well as a number or corrals and other creatures.

20200320_023122.jpg

20200320_023223.jpg

20200320_023244.jpg

16210470057245754946312486611065.jpg

That is a very nice egg shaped rock!  But perhaps more likely a glacial erratic that has now been transported even further south via rivers and streams rather than an egg. 

37 minutes ago, LittleGeek1 said:

But the specimen that I have doesn't seem to be that old.

I’m curious how old you think it is and what that age is based on.

• I Agree 1

Looks like some sort of chert or agate, to me.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I can see someone keeping it until the wagon broke fording a stream. Then they had worse problems than looking for a sewing thimble/fidget stone, curiosity thing, they had before.

Hi LittleGeek1,

on first look I thought that fluorescence on one side looks like a layer (shell?) that has been worn away on one side, which could have been a point in favor of a fossil origin, as bones and shells are sometimes fluorescent. But on second closer look I think the edge looks rather like paint that flowed down the sides. In that light, the spots do also look a little bit like marker pen or similar. My conclusion is, someone found something shaped like an egg and made it look more like one with paint.

Best Regards,

J

20200320_023244.thumb.jpg.1b4e70e07d801142c700d4536a5da69f.jpg

• I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

It's not been altered. It washed out after a good storm. This creek is always turning up new finds. Axes, pestels points, petrified wood, rugose corals, horn corrals, ect ect.

I also found this at a later date. I was told it was basalt by both the paleontologist and geologist. It glows as well under UV light. The second specimen is not near as heavy as the first.

20200320_023944.jpg

20200320_023540.jpg

20200320_023746.jpg

1 hour ago, LittleGeek1 said:

I also found this at a later date. I was told it was basalt by both the paleontologist and geologist

Looks like a worn and weathered iron rich rock. Basalt would fill the bill.