grg1109

1 hour ago, grg1109 said:

No mess...I assumed it was a Bryozoan as well.   Also, I added this topic to 2 other forums.   Although I got many answers...the concensous was Bryozoan.  The first photo below shows a closer veiw of what you circled(hope it helps as I do not know).  The other two are of the slab...just look at the amount and diverse species of Bryozoa.  The last photo is approx. 1" to 1 1/2" in dia.

Thank You for your help...it is appreciated.

Greg

1.jpg

Perhaps they already told you in one of those other forums, but to provide another way of seeing this: septa with pores of some Favositidae.

2ANH7BF1.jpg

Edited by oyo
  • I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, oyo said:

septa with pores of some Favositidae.

No, hasn't been discussed except for Rockwood here.  I thought they were mostly all Bryozoans.  These do look like what Rockwood is talking about as well as other within the plate.  

Thank You

Greg

Perhaps someone can explain in simple terms...what the description of "Moss Like Animal" means.  I know it's a common descriptor of Bryozoan...but, those words together doesn't make sense sense to me, I can't wrap my brain around that term.

Greg

Edited by grg1109

I want to Thank You Rockwood and everyone else for your help, time and patience, I really appreciate it.

Greg

Edited by grg1109

On 5/16/2021 at 3:06 AM, TqB said:

Great photos - it's definitely not a coral anyway. I agree with @grg1109 that the tubes look too long and straight to be bryozoan and I can't see it being any part of a crinoid.

I think sponge is looking good, maybe a hexactinellid root mass (often called Hyalostelia though that is actually just one well defined genus that has this sort of structure).

Not sure if @Spongy Joe is around on here at the moment?

Do you happen to have some kind of diagram/photo of this?

Thanks

Greg

I finally found some photos and diagrams...some from this site.  First photo from this site...second from a paper online...photos A and B.

Thanks

Greg

IMG_8174.thumb.jpg.6a655156b269380e314db28f66be4e5d.jpg

Hexactinellid root tufts..jpg

• Thank You 1

On 5/16/2021 at 8:06 AM, TqB said:

I think sponge is looking good, maybe a hexactinellid root mass (often called Hyalostelia though that is actually just one well defined genus that has this sort of structure).

Not sure if @Spongy Joe is around on here at the moment?

Sadly I'm not around... but just stumbled on this at random! :D From what I can see, the fibrous thing is indeed most likely a sponge root tuft. Depending on the preservation, you could get a positive result by putting a drop of acid on it: if it's sponge, they should be siliceous, and therefore not react. If it does fizz, though, it's still unclear - it may have been secondarily calcified.

• I found this Informative 2

45 minutes ago, Spongy Joe said:

you could get a positive result by putting a drop of acid on it: if it's sponge, they should be siliceous, and therefore not react

It did not react...however other fossils near it did.

Thanks

Greg

Edited by grg1109

On 5/23/2021 at 2:40 PM, grg1109 said:

It did not react...however other fossils near it did.

Thanks

Greg

Ain't it nice when an experiment actually gives a sensible answer? :D Glad my paper helped as well - that plate is from one of the first sponge papers I did, back as a young post-doc... scary.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Yes, it does...Thank You!!  I still get grief on it's id...I understand because it sort of does look like a bryazon.  Now this "root mass" would be attached to the substrate?  Like a plant has a "root ball"?  Would you happen to have access to an illustration of what the whole sponge would look like?

Greg

Edited by grg1109

9 hours ago, grg1109 said:

Yes, it does...Thank You!!  I still get grief on it's id...I understand because it sort of does look like a bryazon.  Now this "root mass" would be attached to the substrate?  Like a plant has a "root ball"?  Would you happen to have access to an illustration of what the whole sponge would look like?

Greg

Here's an example: https://inaturalist.ca/taxa/459686-Hyalonema

Many of these root tufts are embedded entirely in the sea floor, but in some deep-water taxa like Hyalonema it acts as a stalk, raising the sponge above the sediment to reach areas of higher water flow speed (and hence more food). As a by-product, the stalk supports all sorts of life that needs a firm surface to attach to, or make use of it to also reach into the higher flow speeds (like the brittle star). Entire ecosystems revolve around these sponge populations.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1