Framed Pictures of Fossils

Welsh Wizard

I had these pictures of ammonites framed recently.

I purchased them in a shop in Oxford and they are from a book by William Buckland.

For some reason the photo keeps orientating itself incorrectly. No idea why.

0288BA3C-090F-42C5-AE51-497A4C8CA6F6.thumb.jpeg.81826fa92715100f6e73fc4b5f3e2872.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4

Beautiful drawings again! So lucky to just be able to just come across such masterpieces in England!

For proper rotation, by the way, try removing the EXIF-data with a program like Irfan View for Windows, or Lit Photo on a mobile phone...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Nice drawing and well framed . I hope you don’t mind I flipped it the right way up . Cheers Bobby 

D4E2CCA4-55D7-47EF-8B9F-6E452F1D92D6.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1

Very cool! I have done the same with pictures from older published papers in my fossil room, but your pictures and frames look much better than mine. :envy:

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

12 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Nice drawing and well framed . I hope you don’t mind I flipped it the right way up . Cheers Bobby 

D4E2CCA4-55D7-47EF-8B9F-6E452F1D92D6.jpeg

Thanks bobby.

13 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Beautiful drawings again! So lucky to just be able to just come across such masterpieces in England!

For proper rotation, by the way, try removing the EXIF-data with a program like Irfan View for Windows, or Lit Photo on a mobile phone...

Thanks. These have been cut from a book. A practise I don’t agree with but it seems to be really common these days. I have a copy of the book as well but mine will be staying intact.

23 hours ago, Welsh Wizard said:

Thanks. These have been cut from a book. A practise I don’t agree with but it seems to be really common these days. I have a copy of the book as well but mine will be staying intact.

Yeah, I know... It makes me really sad when people do this. Though the contents of these books in the view of most people, even current academics, seems outdated, there's something to be said for the amount of detail and attention that was paid to their composition and illustration. And not just that, they are still very much relevant from a history-of-science perspective, if not as actual scientific reference for some more obscure ideas that might end up being re-evaluated in current academic practice. I always get sad when I see such volumes cut up, just for their illustrations :( But I guess that's part of our age of lack of respect for books, and doesn't mean these are not beautiful drawings worth preservation in their own right. With the age of the books, it may also very well be that the bigger part of the book was affected by some kind of damage (water, foxing, fungal), and that, rather than throwing the whole book out, this was a way to save some of what could be saved...

There are, I believe, certain online companies who reproduce these drawings into fresh prints, which I really like as a concept. However, I think these reproductions are being sold off at too high a price for the loss of fidelity they would entail...

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett