fossilcrazee

My brother and I visited Levy County Florida on May 5 as a short diversion on a recent family trip to Florida because I was determined to find an Eupatagus antillarum (Eocene echinoid from the Ocala Limestone)

It has taken 10 days to post a trip report because, well, I had to return home, clean the fossils and write a poem.  Write a poem because this trip would not have happened if I had not met the TFF Chief Poet @snolly50 in a lovely rhyme-off in support of a recent TFF auction.  I would not have been introduced to @Sacha … and @digit … and then read some of their posts and seen those beautiful echinoids!!!!

And so in honor of the fossil chain:

Ode to THE Echinoid

This Eocene invertebrate is regularly found,

Reports from Fossil Forum members really do abound!

I read with so much interest, @ClearLake’s and Sacha’s posts,

And vowed that I would find this treasure somewhere near the coast!

Pentameric symmetry, is subtle in this kind

So beautiful this lovely gem, I’ll seek until I find!

Adorned with petal-shaped tattoos, with nature’s ageless art

It did not need this added way to catch my beating heart.

Irregular describes its shape, a dome-topped oval-oid

Sought in Ocala Limestone, a fossil quest enjoyed!

Irregular its status too, a state fossil in waiting

What must occur to elevate this echinoid’s curating?

Star of Levy County, exquisite echinoid

Eupatagus antillarum! I am now overjoyed!

Our foray followed an excellent afternoon with Ken (digit) and his wife Tammy wherein we received advice on the search image …as well as such wonderful hospitality that it reminds me, again, that fossil hunting always introduces me to the most welcoming people around.:tiphat:

Although we hunted for only a couple of hours, we found several different items and three Eupatagus antillarum. They may be common, but they are new to me and I believe the largest specimen may be exceptional. As for (tentative) IDs, (corrections welcome)

top row, left: Periarchus lyelli floridanus (Fischer, 1951) - big sand dollar

bottom row, left Rhyncholampas ericsoni (Fischer, 1951) - high test, star shaped peristome

bottom row, middle Neolaganum durhami (Cooke, 1959) - little sand dollar

entire right column Eupatagus antillarum  (Cotteau, 1875) - main attraction of the site!

Whenever I hunt in Eocene material, I invariably end up looking for crab (I can’t help it).  So, the second photo is presented for comment.  Crab or “Just My Imagination?” (I can’t help it;))

Thank for reading.

2021 05 Levy cnty FL ocala echinoderms - Copy.jpg

939898127_202105Levycntyflocalacrab-Copy.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 5

Very nice! Interesting how fossils (and in particular this forum) seems to speak to the bard in all of us and act as a muse for poetic exaltations. 

Glad we were able to help facilitate an enjoyable fossil hunt down in Florida. We are blessed with a richness of fossils and it is always nice to be able to share.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1

32 minutes ago, fossilcrazee said:

Chief Poet @snolly50

Wow, "Chief Poet," I much prefer that to the sobriquet usually applied, "rhyming rapscallion."

Wonderful poem and very wonderful echinoids, I enjoyed your account.  

• Thank You 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Congrats!  Glad you were successful in your quest. I will echo your comment that Ken and Tammy are very gracious hosts and ambassadors for both the forum and Florida.  

• Thank You 1