Seeking identification on Alberta specimen

HDeas

Hello,

I am seeking identification on a spscimen I found in Horsethief Canyon (not to be confused with Horseshoe Canyon), just outside of Drumheller, Alberta, Canada. (Dino capital of the world!).

I found this specimen above ground while hiking in the coolees of the canyon. It was not nearby anything similar to my knowledge. 

I took photographs of it under my microscope to assist with identificafion. 

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide. 

Take care. 

20210516_204751.jpg

20210516_204814.jpg

Screenshot_20210516-211244_HV-Cam.jpg

20210516_204718.jpg

Screenshot_20210516-211249_HV-Cam.jpg

Screenshot_20210516-211254_HV-Cam.jpg

Screenshot_20210516-211259_HV-Cam.jpg

Screenshot_20210516-211304_HV-Cam.jpg

Edited by HDeas
Wanted to thank everyone for their help

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

EDIT 2: Probably a piece of bone. Stratigraphy anyone?

Sponge spicule network or trabecular bone - I may be wrong, but I don't think bone has the regular enclosed circular spaces as shown here. I'm not sure though, I'm not very well up on bony stuff. (And it's not coral.)

298057117_Screenshot2021-05-17at13_48_08.png.c593b194ecf1e9e419735fef609fccf3.png

Edited by TqB

Tarquin

Bone or sponge; I can’t tell from photo which one although I lean towards bone. Sponges have holes/ mesh that interconnect so that the water can reach all parts of the sponge. The spongy interior of a bone does not have to connect with the outside of the bone. 

Do we know the age and formation of the local rocks? Dino bones seem to be common in the area.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

28 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Bone or sponge; I can’t tell from photo which one although I lean towards bone. Sponges have holes/ mesh that interconnect so that the water can reach all parts of the sponge. The spongy interior of a bone does not have to connect with the outside of the bone. 

Do we know the age and formation of the local rocks? Dino bones seem to be common in the area.

I also think this may be bone,

but I beg to differ concerning the connectivity of spongiosa.

In living animals the spongiosa is filled with either red marrow (producing bloodcells) white marrow (mostly fat, but still living tissue). Airsacs that are connected to the lungs in birds and many other dinosaurs fill greater hollow spaces inside the bones, but are also always connected with the outside.

You may well be right that spongiosa is not as open as sponge "tissue", but as far as I understand it all the spaces have to be connected, if only via blood vessels that enter through foramina in the corticalis.

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

This is some great feedback, thank you all so much! I certainly thought it was a bone specimen. If I can send anymore pictures through to help, please let me know. 

The rock formations in Horsethief Canyon are approximately  80 million years old. 

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

You're in the Horseshoe Canyon Fm, Lots of Dino material around.  Looks like weathered bone

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

No, horsethief canyon is different. But very close to hoseshoe canyone. 

1 minute ago, HDeas said:

No, horsethief canyon is different. But very close to hoseshoe canyone. 

The Horsethief Is a member of the Horseshoe Canyon Fm.  We are talking Stratigraphically not location.

Screenshot_20210516-204851_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c7a34ffe5f5d4e2604730e35b7a7f293.jpg

I vote for weathered bone.  It really doesn't look like the internal structure of sponges and given the depositional environment of those layers, sponge is unlikely.