Small hollow tube looks like it was rolled in crushed rock

MoRockHunter

I found this stuck to a rock covered in fossilized snails that looked similar to this, anyway I don't know what it was or is and figured somebody could help me understand this small mystery to me lol. Found in SW MO it is about an inch long and is hollow until about 3/4 of the way back toward the closed end.

IMG_20210516_233338637.jpg

IMG_20210516_233452550.jpg

IMG_20210516_233428911.jpg

This is a case from a larval caddisfly. LINK They're known to make cases out of various materials. Family Limnephillidae would be my guess without seeing the actual bug.

• I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 4

Re-reading your post I see you mentioned fossil snails similar to this stuck to the rock. Are you sure those are not actually cases of the snail-case caddisflies, Helicopsychidae? LINK

• I found this Informative 3

On 5/17/2021 at 12:16 AM, Thomas.Dodson said:

Re-reading your post I see you mentioned fossil snails similar to this stuck to the rock. Are you sure those are not actually cases of the snail-case caddisflies, Helicopsychidae? LINK

Probably are, I don't know anything about them except that they look like snails and when I look at them magnified yeah they look like this tube does just a lot smaller.

IMG_20210518_043320733.jpg

Thanks yall