hollow ribs? pterosaur?

Still_human

Hi there, I’d like to get the expert opinion of you all. Could these be pterosaur ribs? i just know they’re from Whitney, Yorkshire. As you can see, they’re hollow, and all I know of, that would have little hollow ribs like that are pterosaurs, and avian dinosaurs, but I'd imagine it was very uncommon for articulated ribs from a raptor to make it to, and “survive” an aquatic deposit, intact and untouched, although I know pterosaur bones are sometimes found in aquatic fossil deposits, at least from coastal areas. I'm not sure what else would be found there with hollow ribs, and these also seem like maybe they’re too long for ribs of that size/width, so I'm at a total loss now, and wanted to ask for help in figuring out what these could be from.

I'm also interested in what the large flat bone might be, and any others too, of course, if anyone can recognize what it/they might be.

C425DE0E-D951-4A71-B404-5865CFDFBB56.jpeg E829FBFF-4105-440F-9A44-F106A190F2F6.jpeg

B61C49A7-5BA1-4354-85A1-FF998BA58229.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Please be sure to include location information in the body of your post.

Many people miss the tags. ;) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

47 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Please be sure to include location information in the body of your post.

Many people miss the tags. ;) 

yes, sorry about that!

Really interesting piece, sorry I have no idea either.

Waiting for the experts to take a look.

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

May be @FF7_Yuffie would know?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

9 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Cool, but look awfully straight to be ribs..

You're thinking phalangi then?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

7 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

You're thinking phalangi then?

No idea but not thinking pterosaur.  Plant?

I would be hesitant to ID almost anything with photos at this resolution and clarity...much less purchase it.  

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

9 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

May be @FF7_Yuffie would know?

Unfortunately, I wouldnt consider myself knowing enough about pterosaur bones to be much help.

Pterosaurs have been found at Whitby though. Parasipcephalus, it is a very small species. But not much info on it.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

On 5/17/2021 at 3:53 PM, jdp said:

what's the scale? some fish ribs and fin spines are hollow like this.

it’s about 3” corner to corner

On 5/17/2021 at 10:47 AM, Troodon said:

Cool, but look awfully straight to be ribs..

thank you, that’s a better way to put it than “too long”.

On 5/17/2021 at 11:04 AM, Troodon said:

No idea but not thinking pterosaur.  Plant?

like reeds, or something?

do all, or most pterosaurs have the same number of ribs? i can’t find any info on the number any species have, but looking at diagrams and skeletons, it seems to be somewhere around 12-15. i figured maybe that could rule out ribs if the numbers didn’t match up, but the numbers don’t appear to help.

@Still_human

Are you able to provide better focused images?

2 hours ago, Still_human said:

thank you, that’s a better way to put it than “too long”.

like reeds, or something?

No idea

20 hours ago, JohnJ said:

@Still_human

Are you able to provide better focused images?

2 minutes ago, Still_human said:

sadly, no:(

That is unfortunate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 2:10 PM, JohnJ said:

That is unfortunate.

Yeah  :/  but I do feel like it can be confidently accepted that they’re not pterosaur ribs, though.

• I Agree 1

• 2 months later...

This is my find, I think they're ribs. Look at the texture of the bone that runs underneath. Weird piece eitherway.

The hollow appearance of the ribs could be due to the acid preparation.

Edited by LiamL

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

What about ichthyosaur gastralia?

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

8 minutes ago, LiamL said:

This is my find, I think they're ribs. Look at the texture of the bone that runs underneath. Weird piece eitherway.

The hollow appearance of the ribs could be due to the acid preparation.

Didn't you find something similar in one of your hunts on YouTube? I don't quite remember which video though. But there you defined them as fish ribs... As I still don't quite know how to tell fish from reptile bone without seeing the shape if the entire bone, I'd have to base myself on the expertise of others like yourself to determine the likelihood of this being fish or not.

However, if you say that the hollow appearance of the ribs could be due to acid preparation, do you mean to say that they were not hollow when you found them? Is it reasonable to assume that acid would have etched away the bone, but only from the inside? Still sound to me then like there would've been matrix inside the "ribs", rather than bone. In which case the fossils were hollow to begin with? Or am I seeing this wrongly?

Here's some pictures that I took before acid prep.

I didnt do the preparation myself.

Photo 04-08-2021, 8 23 48 pm.jpg

Photo 04-08-2021, 8 23 44 pm.jpg

Photo 04-08-2021, 8 23 40 pm.jpg

7 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Didn't you find something similar in one of your hunts on YouTube? I don't quite remember which video though. But there you defined them as fish ribs... As I still don't quite know how to tell fish from reptile bone without seeing the shape if the entire bone, I'd have to base myself on the expertise of others like yourself to determine the likelihood of this being fish or not.

However, if you say that the hollow appearance of the ribs could be due to acid preparation, do you mean to say that they were not hollow when you found them? Is it reasonable to assume that acid would have etched away the bone, but only from the inside? Still sound to me then like there would've been matrix inside the "ribs", rather than bone. In which case the fossils were hollow to begin with? Or am I seeing this wrongly?

Gyrosteous fish bone is completly different from marine reptile bone.

It is usually either thin flaky bits, or the fin parts. I have lots of examples I can show to compare. 

Edited by LiamL

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter