Hell Creek "theropod" vertebra

FF7_Yuffie

Hello, I'm tempted by one of these verts I saw for sale. All labelled as Hell Creek theropod. Each is from Powder River County in Montana.

There are 4 verts, some look similar, so I'll try and do 4 different posts.  They are quite small, and most show a honeycomb type texture--which I think is a sign that they are carnivore? I am guessing, given the small size, that these would all be from one of the raptor species from Hell Creek.

EDIT: It automatically merged them. Hope its clear which is which.

Vert 1 -  2 inch long, 1.75 wide, 2.25 tall

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

91.jpg

92.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Vert 2 - This one doesn't look like it has the same bone structure as the other, it seems much less honeycombed. Different species, or just not as worn?

1.75 x 1.75 x1.5

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

91.jpg

92.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edited by FF7_Yuffie

Vert 3 - 1.7 x 1.5 x 1.75 - This one doesnt have as many of the holes as the other. I like this one because it has a partial neural arch to it.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last one -- This one is more specifically described as a raptor vertebra by the seller.

1.4 x 1 x 1.5

This is a different shape than the others, and seems to be warped--Im guessing by fossilisation. Also, I am unsure if every pic is of the same vert, or it is just the angles of the photos/different sides of the fossil. Some of the pics don't seem as long or stretched as the others.

Thanks for the help as always. I have quite a few HC verts, but no carnivore ones, so would make a nice change if they are accurate. Even better if can be more specifically tied to a species.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Not much published on this material from HC but given the pleurocoels and the honeycomb bone would say theropod possibly Dromaeosaurid.  The first few are cervical and others Dorsals.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

12 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Not much published on this material from HC but given the pleurocoels and the honeycomb bone would say theropod possibly Dromaeosaurid.  The first few are cervical and others Dorsals.

Nice, cheers. I will likely buy the one with a partial neural arch or the first one (I quite like the reveal of the honeycomb bone structure which is clear). Adding a theropod/dromaesaur will give my HC vert display a bit of variety.

Thanks for taking a look.