After a 3 month dedicated search (coughSisyphean) to figure this out on my own, I still can’t find anything that remotely looks like this. I’m a longtime SE LA/SW MS creek gravel rockhounder and I’ve never come across this before. I’ve shown it to some other area collectors-no luck.

This was found in a creek running through the upper terraces of the (pre-loess) La Citronelle formation not far from the Amite County, MS border. *I should also mention that Louisiana gravels within the (Plio) Citronelle contain much older rocks/fossils that are believed to have been transported by glaciers, as well as ancient interbraided streams. Frequent flooding subsequently washes these out of the upper terraces. To my eye, though, this piece doesn’t appear to be rounded or very worn.

If I had to call it, I’d say table coral/freed piece of reef, but that one side having the appearance of muscle attachment grooves has me wondering about that.

I greatly appreciate your time and opinions; thanks for giving this an eyeballing for me.

1CC8C94F-5D9E-41E3-829F-3CE03735B0AF.jpeg

964F6ABB-10B1-46F6-A562-12988419869C.jpeg

8CF8C83C-513A-40A6-8DE1-B9A88A15C675.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

"Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he.

Watson and Holmes in "The Crooked Man" ~ Conan Doyle

*edit Forgot to mention, I do see the rugosa on the top side.

"Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he.

Watson and Holmes in "The Crooked Man" ~ Conan Doyle

2 hours ago, MyGodMagma said:

*edit Forgot to mention, I do see the rugosa on the top side.

I don't think the symmetry is quite rugose looking. It's more of a sense than anything I can articulate though. The upper ones on that surface show hints of containing crinoid columnals, but that isn't so clear either.

The other views bring to mind the ichno fossil Diplocraterion. 

When it comes to iron clad identifications. :shrug:

Hi,

may the whole thing be a piece of thick bivalve shell with borings of some other organism? Just wondering.

Best Regards,J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley