Making sure this is just a concretion that looks similar to Ediacaran

Lone Hunter

These concretions are tricky for me sometimes, never thought much about this one until I ran across pictures of a Tribrachidum.  Resembles it enough, maybe poorly preserved, thought I'd double check with experts. Came from creek flooded by QT and QAL from Trinity river.

IMG_20210513_004144033.jpg

IMG_20210513_004734203.jpg

IMG_20210513_004019598.jpg

IMG_20210513_004906887.jpg

I'm no expert on Texas fossils and geology, but I'm pretty sure that you'll never find anything out of the Ediacaran in that state.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

One of the best ways to "up your game" in fossil hunting is to know the geology of where you are hunting. That really cuts down on the guesswork of "what it might be".  If you know the general age of the surrounding formations, you can rule out a lot of what it's NOT. And help you focus on what it might be. This is a great tool for all fossil hunters. It tells what formation is in the area, plus a little bit about what fossils you might expect to find.  https://txpub.usgs.gov/txgeology/

• I found this Informative 1

I know my local geology, I use the US pocket geology map. There are Pre Cambrian rocks in Texas,  and what makes it confusing for me is all the fill rock that was used in the creeks around here. A great deal of it is not local which is why I find a lot of crinoid stems which shouldn't be in Eagle Ford.  That makes it difficult to ID things if I don't know it's origin so better to ask just in case.