Pre-Cambrian colision

Dimitar

My next question is a difficult one.  There was a colision . In the beginning I was suspecting a fall. Then I suspected a meteor.  And I was almost convinced about meteor. Then, today I visited the place for the 3-rd time and  I found that some  layers are folded.  So if there was a meteor, the layers should not be folded. Therefore - it was a simple colision between South and North platforms.  ( or it was between Canadian platform with oceanic shelf. )

In such small place I see a very solid bottom  - bed rocks - made of sandstone / possible Potsdam/. 

First layers - almost no life. Then the life start all of a sudden. It's full of life. .  Then there was a colision.  Something like a small hill was formed. / can not be called a mountain/.   But this hill was high enough to stay above the water so the accumulation of sand and mud stopped and I don't see much anything above the colision point. The collision was the final moment before all accumulation of sand and rocks  stop. 

This seems to be a quite early colision - tectonic I guess - and it could be before Ordovician time.

I don't really see any crinoid . There are some simple shells , but they don't even seems to be brachiopods. I was not able to find so far any trilobite.  That't why I suspect this place is older - pre-Cambrian, may be Ediacaran.

Somehow this collision between North and South is very visible on the site..  A lot of Iron.  A lot of heat. The mud became hard as a brick. 

20210514_140835_HDR.jpg

2layers.JPG

20210514_141615_HDR.jpg

20210514_141653_HDR.jpg

20210514_141654_HDR.jpg

20210514_141544_HDR.jpg

20210514_141441_HDR.jpg

Edited by Dimitar

Here are some speciments that I took from the site - from the upper level, near the time of the impact.

20210517_225734_HDR.thumb.jpg.e85314f8b9ddc7ade7c999571319d63c.jpg  20210517_225614_HDR.jpg

20210517_225826_HDR.jpg  20210517_225847_HDR.jpg

20210517_225918_HDR.jpg

20210517_225943_HDR.jpg

20210517_225946_HDR.jpg

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and fossils.

Remember, that we are always seeing only a very, very tiny section (spatial and temporal) of things that happend in the distant past.

As your story seems not impossible, it is not conclusive or stringent. Have you considered all the other possibilities?

Question: What is #5?

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Question: What is #5?

#3, 4, 5,6 -are from the same side of a big block, like a wall, that split and fall less than 1meter on side.

#7 is the opposite side of the same split.

Hi,

8 hours ago, Dimitar said:

Evidence of the big impact and folding of a layer on the site.

20210517_145621_HDR.jpg

This photo could show just a crack like there are thousands on earth.

Coco

• I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

12 minutes ago, Coco said:

This photo could show just a crack like there are thousands on earth.

Coco

Here is the place: 45.517064,-73.902416 .

The base is from solid rocks. 

Like on picture #1.

If it was a crack, I should see the same crack in the base, the floor. 

According to your coordinates, this area appears to be on Ile Bizard, the geology of which has certainly been thoroughly studied and probably published in the Canadian Geological Survey. A quick google search reveals accounts of rare earth elements in alnoitic Cretaceous rocks and ultramafic xenolith intrusions. Perhaps you could contact the Geological Survey and tell them your thoughts. I'm sure that they would have a wealth of information for you.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

The area has been through a collision and separation of continents. Sorting out which is which is no small task.

The museum at Joggins, and the associated tours may be of interest.

It is common along the Canadian shield line that Paleozoic rocks lie disconformably upon them, just as it is common that some strata will be barren on account of natural cycles, natural facies layering from bathymetric changes, storm deposits. The fossils are not Precambrian. Bumps and folds can occur through faulting and up-thrusts or underwater mounts. There is no evidence of meteor strikes in the Montreal area.

There are good sources on the sedimentology and stratigraphy of the Chazy at McGill and Universite de Montreal. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

That's pretty far away from Ile Bizard near Montreal in Quebec.

:DOH: Google Earth coordinates translated poorly. Should have taken the short cut. Google it. 

But it just sounds so lazy. :shrug:

I did not get the  question.

Is it "what are these fossils?" that would be an interesting one that could tell you more about the age of your strata.(which will be already known to people familiar with the regions geology). But assuming they have to be precambrian because there are no fossils in some of the layers seems to be an overly quick conlusion to me. About all of the rocks around the place I spent my youth are devonian. In most of them there is no trace of a fossil to be found, while in some places there are complete fossil reefs. Just like nowadays (and even before our disastrous influence) there are stretches of sea bottom with little visible life an others teeming with it.

As you said, folding is rather a sign of tectonic movement than of impact, and as far as I understand it rather of slow, plastic deformation of rocklayers than of sudden catastrophic events.

Best Regards,

J

• I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Thank you guys! Many explanations are possible,  it could be a simple crack.

There were some movements on the place.  The reason to try understand this place:  on the right side the layers are horizontal on top of each other.  And on the left side - they are folded, smashed, some stay almost vertical. 

20210517_145527_HDR.jpg

20210514_150033_HDR.jpg

Edited by Dimitar

3 hours ago, Dimitar said:

Thank you guys! Many explanations are possible,  it could be a simple crack.

There were some movements on the place.  The reason to try understand this place:  on the right side the layers are horizontal on top of each other.  And on the left side - they are folded, smashed, some stay almost vertical. 

Please do not hide/remove topics that others have already responded to. Thank you for your cooperation. 

As for the explanations, you will find those narrow to one or two most probable ones if you learn more about sedimentology, and if you consult the literature on the Chazy as advised. There are Potsdam in spots, but you are more likely to encounter the Chazy in your area. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Let me share with you a video I did on the site the first day, my first visit on this site: