Bone with flint?

Cairns

Hi, my daughter found this on our beach in Kitsap County.  (Washington)  The tongue taste test says it’s bone, it sure looks like embedded flint. I realize how very improbable this is, so suspect it’s something tame and obvious but I can’t figure it out. 
Perhaps someone out there can?

5ADD560E-C925-4DFA-B686-A0F50636A3E2.jpeg  103C9AE9-21D6-4501-A38D-F426192E6622.jpeg

CAADBAE4-106B-4F88-96BA-B0931378EC2A.jpeg

AC6371C8-1D93-47FD-B745-5D21FF00D256.jpeg   68E47BE6-2125-4505-A84D-ECB48C3A06FA.jpeg

FE844B4C-F0BE-4D4A-AC14-16F5BC0CD9B2.jpeg

I'm certain that the people who live in Kitsap County think of it as the center of the universe, but there may be a few of us who don't know where Kitsap County lies. 

That said, I think this object is geological, rather than biological in origin.  Flint, or some other SiO2 variety, is a reasonable guess.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Washington state which yes, is the center of all :)

oh, flint formed inside a “rock”? Ok

4 hours ago, Cairns said:

I think it is either a clast that was included in the sediment, or possibly just an area of the rock that remains unweathered.

• I Agree 1

It seems to be a part of root, most likely from a whale. the tooth itself has broken off although, in one of the pictures it looks as if a bit of the tooth stayed attached. Definitely something to get checked out at your local museum or palaeontologist.

There is no enamel - so no tooth. 

It's definitely geological in nature, rather than biological. 

Geology produces some weird stuff. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

There could be cementum seen on the root end of a tooth. This does not look like cementum however.

Edited by Rockwood

I thought it could be a root to a whale tooth. as it has a very similar shape and size as the picture above. I could be wrong as it was just a guess but they do look alike

image.png.a72b51798845468c6462dfe5335a97e6.png

Agree with geologic, but it does look like a primitive pencil. (It's nor really a pencil but kinda looks like one)

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I agree that this is geological, based upon its morphology, which does not resemble a tooth, and especially the location.  The sedimentary rocks in Kitsap county are not noted for fossils like this, nor are rocks to the north which could have been a source for glacial movement.  

Hi Cairns and welcome to the forum!

Flint is often covered by a chalky layer, while at the center of the flint there is often a fossil, like sponges, echinoids or other animal parts. The decaying animal changes the pH of the sediment around it which makes solved silicate less soluble, creating a flint nodule (or sometimes pyrite) around the fossil. The chalky layer is often quite absorbent, just like the porous structure of bone, thus "faking" the tongue test. So flint could explain most of your finds properties. It really resembles a whale tooths root , I am just not sure it is one though.

Best Regards,

J

• I found this Informative 2

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

3 hours ago, Plax said:

Is that gray spot a hole?

Quoting myself for clarity of my initial remark. I think if the gray area is a hole I see spiral ribbing in it.

24 minutes ago, Plax said:

Quoting myself for clarity of my initial remark. I think if the gray area is a hole I see spiral ribbing in it.

Next to last view. Pretty sure it's a fracture pattern. Flint like I think.

12 hours ago, Cairns said:

Thank you.

Inside a "rock" (limestone) is the only place where flint is formed.  Flint, chert, and other SiO2 varieties are, after all, sedimentary rocks.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

7 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Hi Cairns and welcome to the forum!

Flint is often covered by a chalky layer, while at the center of the flint there is often a fossil, like sponges, echinoids or other animal parts. The decaying animal changes the pH of the sediment around it which makes solved silicate less soluble, creating a flint nodule (or sometimes pyrite) around the fossil. The chalky layer is often quite absorbent, just like the porous structure of bone, thus "faking" the tongue test. So flint could explain most of your finds properties. It really resembles a whale tooths root , I am just not sure it is one though.

Best Regards,

J

Ah ok thanks for information on limestone and porous point…

5 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Thank you.

Inside a "rock" (limestone) is the only place where flint is formed.  Flint, chert, and other SiO2 varieties are, after all, sedimentary rocks.

Thanks. Most of the flint I find is free range and I don’t pick up much limestone. Now I know

Thanks for edification…

sounds like consensus is limestone with flint

I may get out my lapidary tools if it’s nothing exciting…to see what shape the flint is. It’s a strange object compared to most of our finds

7 hours ago, Myrmica said:

I agree that this is geological, based upon its morphology, which does not resemble a tooth, and especially the location.  The sedimentary rocks in Kitsap county are not noted for fossils like this, nor are rocks to the north which could have been a source for glacial movement.  

Ok thanks for the insights 

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Plax said:

So is the gray spot a hole or conchoidal fracture?

not a hole, the second to last picture shows it best

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)