Cretaceous Fossil ID from Saudi Arabia

JemB

Please could anyone help me with the identification of these fossils. I have very limited knowledge so appreciate any comments. All fossils were found in Thumamah Park near Riyadh in central Saudi Arabia and all were collected loose from the ground. The age of the formation here is Cretaceous according to the geological data I can find. The bottom two photos are two sides of the same fossil which looks to me like an oyster of some sort (but could be totally wrong).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

4776BDD4-E615-4D43-8A76-CBD3E648407C.jpeg

6A1B2C70-41AD-42E2-8653-EF66A3E6878F.jpeg

FEC9852B-E4B9-4C7D-88FF-0C019D88647F.jpeg

4BECABDF-B04C-4FBC-9935-8E38E5570ED1.jpeg

52986E3F-EBA2-40F4-90F6-8709D77C526D.jpeg

Hello JemB and welcome to the forum!

The last one does look like an oyster to me too, there will be someone around who can tell you more.

The elongated form on the one before that could be someting like a Turitella gastropod that has been opened by erosion.

The first one looks really interesting, but I have no idea what it is.

Just wait a bit, more often than not someone on this forum will know more.

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Mahnmut - Thanks so much for the help. Hopefully other members can help with the identifications.

Hello again, here is a pdf about fossil oysters of Jordan, I did not find much on Saudi Arabia.

http://www.paleoliste.de/bandel/Aqrabawi.pdf

The first one still intrigues me though.

Best regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

The first two pictures remind me of rudists.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Mahnmut & abyssunder

Thanks for the help. I found the two fossils abyssunder mentioned as possible rudists next to some much larger examples of rudists which I attach photos. I identified these from the below paper found on the internet. The location I found my examples were about five kilometres away from one example they quoted and some look very similar to plate in paper (e, f).

New record of Durania cornupastoris (rudist) from the Campanian of the Aruma Formation, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia: Description and biogeographic remarks
Sacit Ozer, Abdelbaset S. El-Sorogy.

This would help confirm them as suggested as rudists I think.

04F328E2-7678-4A07-8133-583A1CE7FDB5.jpeg

E95D2892-FD58-4081-97C2-B5F7BF71877A.jpeg

5BF22F90-2C2B-472A-99EC-2169427B116F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

• 7 months later...
On 5/22/2021 at 10:25 AM, JemB said:

Mahnmut & abyssunder

Thanks for the help. I found the two fossils abyssunder mentioned as possible rudists next to some much larger examples of rudists which I attach photos. I identified these from the below paper found on the internet. The location I found my examples were about five kilometres away from one example they quoted and some look very similar to plate in paper (e, f).

New record of Durania cornupastoris (rudist) from the Campanian of the Aruma Formation, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia: Description and biogeographic remarks
Sacit Ozer, Abdelbaset S. El-Sorogy.

This would help confirm them as suggested as rudists I think.

04F328E2-7678-4A07-8133-583A1CE7FDB5.jpeg

E95D2892-FD58-4081-97C2-B5F7BF71877A.jpeg

5BF22F90-2C2B-472A-99EC-2169427B116F.jpeg

Your last photos show clearly the commissure separation between the lower and upper valve of rudists.

Sorry for my late reply, I missed your response. :)

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library