Stabilize Pyritized (maybe marcasite) Wood in Coal

Gerry

Have 2 pieces of pyritized wood (maybe marcasite) from the coal areas of central Illinois-Farmington. One is a slab and the other a branch. Have included photos. I believe the branch may have been coated with clear lacquer. The slab has not been coated but it is deteriorating on the surface.  I had some pyritized snails from the same area from 40 years ago. I had lost them for many years and recently found them and they had disintegrated. Would ike to poish if possible and stabilize the finish.

Would appreciate any guidance.  Thanks Gerry

IMG_7371.jpg

I feel your pain.  Pyrite disease is a curse.  You might try ensuring that your specimen is as dry as possible and then coating it with polyvinyl acetate (PVA) which has been diluted in a solvent.  I have had only limited success with that, and have had some lovely pyritized ammonites turn themselves into crumbly sulphate piles.  You might also try putting your specimens in a sealed container with some of those dessicant packs that come with certain random food products?

• I found this Informative 1

I've had the best luck with consolidating specimens with paraloid. It keeps the moisture out to stop feeding the decay/stop it from starting and as a bonus gives it more structural integrity if there is damage. Just make sure the specimens are as dry as possible before you consolidate. Some people put them in the oven at low temps.

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you all for your quick responses. I will get to work !!!

Best regards,

Gerry