Bad Trilobite split

Jurassicz1

I split this trilo from a rock, Some shell got stuck on the negative. How do I fix this? Is the Trilobite destroyed? Should I glue the Trilobite back on the rock? How do i get the shell back on the trilo? Is it normal that shell can come off Trilobites? 

Trilobite head

20210520_102849.thumb.jpg.0312c460cb93bddc58a8149f1da6235e.jpg

Negatives with shell stuck

20210520_102903.thumb.jpg.bd36f25a7a53ad72e9f15fcc93783b21.jpg  20210520_102859.thumb.jpg.fed05baa3929b28c32832e60abf12021.jpg  20210520_102838.jpg

1. Ensure both pieces of the break are completely clean, and that any missing shell bits are not missing.

2. Do not add glue to the actual surfaces between the trilobite, but instead ensure a proper fit of the two pieces (there should be no wiggle if it is securely in place). 

3. Keeping the two pieces firmly together, add cyanoacrylate all along/around the crack and let it "wick" into the crack. The reason you try not to put glue on the two surfaces is that, no matter how thin the glue, the join will not be perfect.

4. If there is no way to clamp it, keep holding it firm and steady for a few minutes.

5. Let cure for one day.

6. Prep using scribe and abrasion, careful not to knock off the glued piece.

A supplementary option is to use a Dremel with a diamond wheel attachment to cut closer on the broken/smaller piece, to repeat the steps above to cut down on any bulky matrix that would take more time to scribe and abrade. However, a major caveat is you have to very carefully inspect the piece to ensure there are no micro-fractures that would be in danger of popping off due to the vibration of the Dremel.

If you follow these steps, you have a much better chance of a perfect fit where it might not be possible to tell the trilobite was broken at all. 

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Kane said:

1. Ensure both pieces of the break are completely clean, and that any missing shell bits are not missing.

2. Do not add glue to the actual surfaces between the trilobite, but instead ensure a proper fit of the two pieces (there should be no wiggle if it is securely in place). 

3. Keeping the two pieces firmly together, add cyanoacrylate all along/around the crack and let it "wick" into the crack. The reason you try not to put glue on the two surfaces is that, no matter how thin the glue, the join will not be perfect.

4. If there is no way to clamp it, keep holding it firm and steady for a few minutes.

5. Let cure for one day.

6. Prep using scribe and abrasion, careful not to knock off the glued piece.

A supplementary option is to use a Dremel with a diamond wheel attachment to cut closer on the broken/smaller piece, to repeat the steps above to cut down on any bulky matrix that would take more time to scribe and abrade. However, a major caveat is you have to very carefully inspect the piece to ensure there are no micro-fractures that would be in danger of popping off due to the vibration of the Dremel.

If you follow these steps, you have a much better chance of a perfect fit where it might not be possible to tell the trilobite was broken at all. 

Alright thanks!