A Hadrosaur tail column and a hadrosaur vertebra

FF7_Yuffie

Hello,

I am waiting to here back from the seller a more specific location, so I will update when I get a county/town. But info I have thus far is this is a Hadrosaur column, tail vertebra, supposedly from the Two Medicine Formation of Montana. 

Is the description of it being Hadrosaur correct? I assume if Hadrosaur, it will be difficult to narrow down further given the number of different Hadrosaur species there are.It is 6 fused vertebra, and if it's Hadrosaur, it might make a nice display piece for me so I will likely go for it. I've also requested some extra photos.

The 2nd vert is also sold as Hadrosaur, from Two Medicine too. But it doesn't look like any Hadrosaur vert I've seen, with the really concave front centrum and the back part of the centrum bulging out. I've also requested extra info that I will update with if/when the seller messages me. Does anyone have a clue what it is, if not Hadrosaur?

Many thanks as always---hoping to bulk out my collection with some more interesting, larger pieces. If I win the broken trike horn and if this vert column checks out, they would be a nice pair to add along with the raptor vert I am also gonna pick up soon.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

that last one may be a  cervical, but troodon should have a more definitive answer. 

• Thank You 1

17 minutes ago, jpc said:

that last one may be a  cervical, but troodon should have a more definitive answer. 

I just checked the sellers description, it is listed as a cervical vert.

Agree with jpc that last one is a hadrosaur cervical vertebra.

The verts appear to be associated but not fused.   I believe they are hadrosaur but like to get a sharper photo of the front or back of one.

• Thank You 1

Cheers, I'm hopinh seller will message back with a closer locality so I can these confirmed as the right formation.

Thanks for taking a look. I will update when I hear.

3 hours ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

Auction ended before seller got back to me unfortunately.

That's a pity, Jack! Hope you have better luck next time something like this comes around :(

On the upside, you didn't just pay a lot of money that couldn't be IDed sufficiently...

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Maybe you dodged a bullet.  I'm suspect of this vertebral "fossil".  I"ve never worked in the two medicine formation but theres a lot of red flags going up for me.  The overall crudeness of the appearance, I dont see strong "bone" signs, I dont see change in appearance from surface to broken surfaces, the poor way pieces seem glued together, the contrasting dark material between the verts on one side.  

The single vert, is very clear in that it is a vertebra, and the complete contrast against the other.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

5 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

That's a pity, Jack! Hope you have better luck next time something like this comes around :(

On the upside, you didn't just pay a lot of money that couldn't be IDed sufficiently...

Yeah, I'm sure I'll find other nice fossils. Plus, if I couldnt get a proper Id, I wouldn't buy it. Passed up a few in the past for that reason.

4 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Maybe you dodged a bullet.  I'm suspect of this vertebral "fossil".  I"ve never worked in the two medicine formation but theres a lot of red flags going up for me.  The overall crudeness of the appearance, I dont see strong "bone" signs, I dont see change in appearance from surface to broken surfaces, the poor way pieces seem glued together, the contrasting dark material between the verts on one side.  

The single vert, is very clear in that it is a vertebra, and the complete contrast against the other.

Interesting. You think it's mainly rock? Or just a shoddy repair job or even a composite of various bits and pieces?

Guess there's no way to get new pics and see now that it's sold anyway. Glad I missed it though if there's a few red flags with this one. 

Cheers