Actinopteria bella scientific illustration

Mainefossils

I have always enjoyed drawing, but it is only in the last 2 years or so that I started working on scientific illustration. I have done many living creatures, but this is my first fully rendered fossil. I was hoping that you guys could give me some suggestions for improvements. I did some reconstruction by comparing my main subject with other specimens. It is an Actinopteria bella, rendered using graphite pencils and tortillons, on smooth 2 ply Bristol paper. Thoughts?

@Kane, @Ludwigia, @Top Trilo

711036261_actionopteriabellafinaldrawing.thumb.jpg.333f00a48af5199b86f36704a80890cf.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

Looks good. :dinothumb:

I'm sure the illustration in person looks even better, given the frustration of photographing graphite drawings that sadly is reflective to light and washes out the lighter tones that you painstakingly laid down. 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Just now, Kane said:

Looks good. :dinothumb:

I'm sure the illustration in person looks even better, given the frustration of photographing graphite drawings that sadly is reflective to light and washes out the lighter tones that you painstakingly laid down. 

Thank you! Yes, it is extremely hard to get good photos. 

Regards, 

Asher 

I'm actually just a beginner at this pastime, so don't take me too seriously. It looks good to me, but maybe you could bring out the difference between light and shade a bit better.

• Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

14 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I'm actually just a beginner at this pastime, so don't take me too seriously. It looks good to me, but maybe you could bring out the difference between light and shade a bit better.

Thank you for the suggestion! :)

• Thank You 1

Regards, 

Asher 

Nicely done.  :) 

Try taking a picture of it in daylight, to see if it helps with contrast at all. 
Not direct sunlight, but daylight.  ;) 

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@Fossildude19

Thanks for the suggestion! I have just finished taking more photos of the drawing. 

1377556573_actinopteriabellafinaldrawing.thumb.jpg.838cb9fa1eee48a7e8eb85dcfc64f471.jpg

Regards, 

Asher 

The drawing looks very good to me, and I'm especially impressed by the depth of field impression at the upper left of the drawing. Perhaps a scanner would work better than a camera? 

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

6 hours ago, Mainefossils said:

I have always enjoyed drawing, but it is only in the last 2 years or so that I started working on scientific illustration. I have done many living creatures, but this is my first fully rendered fossil. I was hoping that you guys could give me some suggestions for improvements. I did some reconstruction by comparing my main subject with other specimens. It is an Actinopteria bella, rendered using graphite pencils and tortillons, on smooth 2 ply Bristol paper. Thoughts?

711036261_actionopteriabellafinaldrawing.thumb.jpg.333f00a48af5199b86f36704a80890cf.jpg

Your skills impress me.

Use the photo editing software in your device. Play around with the exposure, highlights, shadows and contrast settings.   I have a sharpen feature, but did not use it. The greatest thing about modern digital cameras is the ability to digitally process photos to compensate for bad lightening and camera settings. If you have the better versions of software and the skills (not me) you could make the background lighter. Here is what I could do on an old iPhone:

4BC6F28C-0B30-48AC-9C84-2D73E1F4A29F.jpeg

EDIT: here is another image using the sharpness feature and adjusting the exposure to create a lighter background. Once I edit a photo I like to compare it to the original. Cameras don’t always see things the way our eyes do.

390D572F-0622-4355-99C0-E5B622A543C9.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thanks @Pagurus and @DPS Ammonite!

@Pagurus

Thanks! I think that it would be better to use a scanner, but unfortunately, I don't have access to one. 

@DPS Ammonite

I did what you suggested, and below is a new picture that is closer to the original drawing. 

1800821857_actionopteriabellafinaldrawing.thumb.jpg.977e754580d7f1f649222aa9ee59fb41.jpg

Regards, 

Asher 

1 minute ago, Mainefossils said:

Thanks @Pagurus and @DPS Ammonite!

@Pagurus

Thanks! I think that it would be better to use a scanner, but unfortunately, I don't have access to one. 

@DPS Ammonite

I did what you suggested, and below is a new picture that is closer to the original drawing. 

1800821857_actionopteriabellafinaldrawing.thumb.jpg.977e754580d7f1f649222aa9ee59fb41.jpg

To recycle a really old saying: now you are cooking with gas. It looks much better.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

8 minutes ago, Mainefossils said:

At least with apple in the notes app you can scan things.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Thanks @DPS Ammonite, @Top Trilo, and @Kane!

@Kane

That website was very useful, and I look forward to using it on my next project. :)

Regards, 

Asher