Large Vertebra Needs Id

dbrake40

Found on river gravel bar southern Minnesota. 

Bovid axis maybe? Sediments in the area range from cretaceous to holocoen with a good amount of Wisconsin lobe glacial till.

Previously we have found bison, mammoth, and ancient horse...

IMG_20210523_233059.jpg  IMG_20210523_233107.jpg

IMG_20210524_083656.jpg

IMG_20210524_080951.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Large Vertebra Needs Id

Bovid cervical appears reasonable to me.  Not an axis though.  I don't quite know mammal vertebrae well enough to confirm but you do seem to be on the right track.

The specimen is a bit worn and all the processes have been eroded away, but cool find!

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, ParkerPaleo said:

Bovid cervical appears reasonable to me.  Not an axis though.  I don't quite know mammal vertebrae well enough to confirm but you do seem to be on the right track.

The specimen is a bit worn and all the processes have been eroded away, but cool find!

My first thought also but the vertebral foramen seems proportionally very large compared to other bovine example I've found 

I think it will be difficult to narrow down without comparison material.  At least for me.  Elk/moose/musk ox may be options as well.  

The cervicals all seem to have slightly different shapes.  I'm led to question whether the size of the foramen is even consistent throughout the neck.  

Link to some moose pics I found...

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Cervical-vertebrae-of-a-modern-moose-in-anterior-view-AMNH122674-Vertebrae-arranged_fig5_273805616

• I found this Informative 1