Probable Pleistocene Teeth for Identification

Caverat

I have a collection of bone and teeth collected in Southeast Missouri caves, usually from gravels in the cave streams. Lots of horse and bison, some camel and very rarely, saber tooth. I have images of two that are uncertain and request some more knowledgeable persons help me with identification. The images have a light blue grid that is one inch. Thanks for any guidance in advance!

11016_1.jpg

11016_2.jpg

11016_3.jpg

11016_4.jpg

11019_1.jpg

11019_2.jpg

11019_3.jpg

11019_4.jpg

11019_5.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

48 minutes ago, darrow said:

I believe both are Peccary

If so, the canine tooth is quite large for Peccary, isn't it?

2 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I agree with peccary.  Platygonus sp.

peccary_canines_B.JPG

I certainly see the similarity in the upper canine. Do you have any idea which kind of tooth the other tooth might be from a Peccary? Molar? Upper or lower?

Edited by Caverat
Corrected a bad assumption....

3 hours ago, Caverat said:

Peccary? Molar? Upper or lower?

This may help .. definitely a molar.  These images show (p2 - m3)

Figure 2 - uploaded by Richard C. Hulbert
Content may be subject to copyright.
270646968_Tayassuid-dentaries-and-lower-teeth-from-the-Pleistocene-of-Florida-A-right-dentary(1).thumb.png.ebac363ad20d3f75b8fcd615ca5e812a.png

Tayassuid dentaries and lower teeth from the Pleistocene of Florida. A, right dentary with p2-m3 of Platygonus vetus, UF 66657, from Haile 21A, Alachua County, in occlusal view; B, right dentary with p2-m3 of Mylohyus fossilis, UF/FGS 5691, from Arredondo 2A, Alachua County, in occlusal view; C, right dentary with p4m3 of Pecari sp., UF 162751, from Peace River 5A, De Soto County, in occlusal view; D, right m3 of Pecari sp., UF 201286, from an unknown locality in the Suwannee River, in occlusal view; E, right m3 of Pecari sp., UF 225870, from Peace River 6, De Soto County, in occlusal view; F, UF 66657 in lateral view; G, UF/FGS 5691 in lateral view; H, UF 162751 in lateral view.

Edited by Brett Breakin' Rocks
  • I found this Informative 1

On 5/24/2021 at 11:54 PM, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

This may help .. definitely a molar.  These images show (p2 - m3)

Figure 2 - uploaded by Richard C. Hulbert
Content may be subject to copyright.
270646968_Tayassuid-dentaries-and-lower-teeth-from-the-Pleistocene-of-Florida-A-right-dentary(1).thumb.png.ebac363ad20d3f75b8fcd615ca5e812a.png

Tayassuid dentaries and lower teeth from the Pleistocene of Florida. A, right dentary with p2-m3 of Platygonus vetus, UF 66657, from Haile 21A, Alachua County, in occlusal view; B, right dentary with p2-m3 of Mylohyus fossilis, UF/FGS 5691, from Arredondo 2A, Alachua County, in occlusal view; C, right dentary with p4m3 of Pecari sp., UF 162751, from Peace River 5A, De Soto County, in occlusal view; D, right m3 of Pecari sp., UF 201286, from an unknown locality in the Suwannee River, in occlusal view; E, right m3 of Pecari sp., UF 225870, from Peace River 6, De Soto County, in occlusal view; F, UF 66657 in lateral view; G, UF/FGS 5691 in lateral view; H, UF 162751 in lateral view.

Thanks! These definitely do help. 

Based on the sizes (my images have a light blue grid of one inch), The white tail deer teeth appear way too small. I feel the same regarding the peccary molar, however, I've had a suggestion that my peccary remains might be Playgonus cumberlandensis, which I'm told was a much larger species.