JustABrowser

Found at Dauphin Island, Alabama. I found both washed up on the ocean’s shore

The light gray tooth is 4.6 cm tall,4.5 cm at it’s widest, and 3.8 cm at it’s base.
The dark gray tooth is 5.6 cm tall, 3.3 cm at it’s widest, and 3.5 cm at it’s base.

image.jpg  image.jpg

image.jpg  image.jpg

image.jpg  image.jpg

I think the second tooth is either a bovine tooth or camelid tooth. The first tooth I think is probably some kind of marine carnivore tooth.

• Thank You 1

The first object appears to be a Tilly bone (search the Forum).

The second tooth looks camelid, but I haven't seen one quite like this -- I am accustomed to seeing them with equal-size cusps.

• Thank You 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Could the first one also be a longitudinally split sharktooth?

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

8 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Could the first one also be a longitudinally split sharktooth?

I guess it could be just about anything spikey.  More images, better images, would be helpful.

• Thank You 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I’ve seen a lot of people confused by the strange dark gray tooth, so I wanted to add some more info!

its a three-sided triangular tooth, what makes it intriguing is two of the sides are mirrored, but the back of the tooth is lumpy and has a similar pattern to the ‘gum’ of the tooth. 

it should be really interesting if this is in fact some kind of mutant shark tooth

D73815B9-AF7A-4C31-9B54-7EF3D7DD4785.png

07BBF108-969C-4F0C-8D64-DE0A366BF2C0.jpeg

0E5CA66E-E1F4-42E0-BF1D-1B9C2A463A20.jpeg

Edited by JustABrowser

1 hour ago, Harry Pristis said:
1 hour ago, Harry Pristis said:

I guess it could be just about anything spikey.  More images, better images, would be helpful

These help? 

2F14DD66-F3DE-4107-9B3A-40856C6A277F.jpeg

A83434E0-2A9B-4809-BC9B-46F984A67620.png

C95854B8-5662-477E-86D3-25F305EDC273.jpeg

01452C24-C5E7-4F77-8993-DEF33C1790D0.jpeg

2 minutes ago, JustABrowser said:

These help? 

Definitely a worn shark tooth. While the images are still not the best .. a darker background would help and shooting the tooth so it is perpendicular to the camera (not at an obtuse angle) would also help. 

Eventually it will line up like this:

Water_Worn_Sharktooth.jpg.f24579f156184e77fedc3ab52723d15e.jpg

3 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Definitely a worn shark tooth.

Gotcha! Do you have any idea what kind of shark it was, based off the half i have?

6 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

shooting the tooth so it is perpendicular to the camera (not at an obtuse angle)

I would, but it does’t balance that way, it’s a really thick tooth, and that’s what it looks like laying flat and seen from above

9 minutes ago, JustABrowser said:

Gotcha! Do you have any idea what kind of shark it was, based off the half i have?

Personally, I think it's a really worn mega-toothed shark. It resembles worn meg teeth we see on the east coast. 

You should be able to hold it in your hand and angle your hand so the blade is flat to camera... Or lay it down flat so it stays in focus and angle your camera so again, the blade is flat to camera.

Like this:

C95854B8-5662-477E-86D3-25F305EDC273.jpeg.ec0515d252832e07dbbfd1b5729b08a9.thumb.jpg.5ebaeaa871c226df790e0989fb2be18b.jpg

Edited by Brett Breakin' Rocks
  • I found this Informative 2

2 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Personally, I think it's a really worn mega-toothed shark. It resembles worn meg teeth we see on the east coast. 

You should be able to hold it in your hand and angle your hand so the blade is flat to camera... Or lay it down flat so it stays in focus and angle your camera so again, the blade is flat to camera.

Super cool and thank you for the help! I’m brand new at this so sorry if I am amateurish

image.jpg

10 minutes ago, JustABrowser said:

Super cool and thank you for the help! I’m brand new at this so sorry if I am amateurish

Heh hey .. much better image .. here is some help with the kinds of teeth found on Dauphin island.  Curious though .. this paper identifies the oldest teeth at lower Pleistocene. That would rule out megalodon .. but the tooth you have is quite worn. (Maybe there are reworked and undescribed sediments) And there are no visible serrations but those may have been worn away.  

https://alabamanewscenter.com/2017/07/19/ice-age-sharks-needs-headline/

Full Paper: https://bioone.org/journals/Palaeodiversity/volume-10/issue-1/pale.v10.a6/The-occurrence-of-early-Pleistocene-marine-fish-remains-from-the/10.18476/pale.v10.a6.full

Plate-1_Teeth-Color.thumb.jpg.84283ff17234a6a20f42682f2ee6392d.jpg

Full-color plate of different fossil shark, ray and pufferfish species from Dauphin Island and the Sand/Pelican Island Complex. (Courtesy of Palaeodiversity)

Carcharias taurus, DISL 15.1.51, upper left anterior tooth; a: labial view; b: lingual view. (4) C. taurus, DISL 15.1.46, upper left anterior tooth; a: labial view; b: lingual view. (5) C. taurus, DISL 15.1.37, upper right lateral tooth; a: labial view; b: lingual view. (6) Carcharhinus leucas, DISL 15.1.14, upper left lateral tooth; a: labial view; b: lingual view. (7) Carcharodon carcharias, DISL 15.1.2, first upper left anterior tooth; a: labial view; b: lingual view. (8) Cosmopolitodus hastalis, DISL 15.1.28, upper left anterior tooth; a: labial view; b: lingual view. (9) Carcharinus sp. cf. C. longimanus, DISL 15.1.16, upper right anterior tooth; a: labial view; b: lingual view. (10) Carcharinus obscurus, DISL 15.1.25, upper right lateral tooth; a: labial view; b: lingual view. (11) Carcharinus sp. cf. C. plumbeus, DISL 15.1.84, upper right lateral tooth; a: labial view; b: lingual view. (12) Carcharinus sp., DISL 15.1.34, upper right lateral tooth; a: labial view; b: lingual view. (13) Carcharinus sp., DISL 15.1.42, lower lateral tooth; a: labial view; b: lingual view. (14) Negaprion brevirostris, DISL 15.1.49, upper tooth; a: labial view; b: lingual view. (15) Galeocerdo cuvier, DISL 15.1.19, anterior tooth; a: labial view; b: lingual view. (16) G. cuvier, DISL 15.1.12, lateral tooth; a: labial view; b: lingual view. (17) Hemipristis serra, DISL 15.1.10, upper right lateral tooth; a: labial view; b: lingual view. (18) Aetobatus sp., DISL 15.1.40, upper medial tooth; a: oral view; b: basal view. (19) Diodontidae, DISL 15.1.11, fused lower tooth plate with beak; a: oral view; b: ventral view.

Edited by Brett Breakin' Rocks
  • I found this Informative 3

1 minute ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

here is some help with the kinds of teeth found on Dauphin island.

Yes! I found a bunch of these off the coast. I think the mystery was how thick and 3-D this tooth was, but thinking about the ‘gummy’ side as the missing half, and the two sides as ‘front and back’ really helped 

8 minutes ago, JustABrowser said:

Yes! I found a bunch of these off the coast.

I think the fact that it took the author 25 years to create the collection of teeth you see in the paper is indicative of how rare the teeth on that island truly are .... 

Cheers,

Brett

PS. Welcome to the forum ! 

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, JustABrowser said:

Yes! I found a bunch of these off the coast. I think the mystery was how thick and 3-D this tooth was, but thinking about the ‘gummy’ side as the missing half, and the two sides as ‘front and back’ really helped 

Probably thick because it's an auriculatis tooth from "upstream" in the state. Shark teeth are resistant clasts much like quartz pebbles etc. I suspect beach renourishment scoured a paleochannel that was eroded into the coastal plain during the last low stand and deposited the sediment on the modern beach. Imagine the sea 300 feet lower and rapidly eroding streams carrying gravel from further inland to the modern coast and beyond. 

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, Plax said:

Probably thick because it's an auriculatis tooth from "upstream" in the state. Shark teeth are resistant clasts much like quartz pebbles etc. I suspect beach renourishment scoured a paleochannel that was eroded into the coastal plain during the last low stand and deposited the sediment on the modern beach. Imagine the sea 300 feet lower and rapidly eroding streams carrying gravel from further inland to the modern coast and beyond. 

That’s really freaking cool, ill have to look up that shark and paleochannels!