Very Pleasant day

Shellseeker

It was very hot today in Florida (96 Fahrenheit) .  I did not notice until I got out of the river to leave. Pleasant, outdoors in nature,  finding treasures from the distant past: large pieces of Mastodon/Mammoth teeth, a piece of Mastodon/Mammoth skull, Giant Tortoise shell, Horse teeth, a llama/camel tooth, dolphin ear bone, some nice Hemis, especially lowers, and 4-5 small Megs.

The peace River is shallow.  It is supposed to rain next week, so I enjoy while I can.

Here is the best Meg... Think about it.. This Meg waited in the River for millions of years and today I was fortunate enough to come along and pick the right place. I am good at what I do, but I am also blessed to have this hobby during my retirement years.

EDIT: Forgot to add. My alarm was set for 4:45 am today,  and I have managed reset so it is also set of 4:45 am tomorrow. Good night all. Pleasant dreams. 

SmallMeg_Merge.jpg.0d0bf86b328d9742691ec9b5f5d6e386.jpg

Edited by Shellseeker
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 14

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

That is a nice meg!  

Thanks for sharing.  :Smiling:

Edited by fossilhunter21

Great tooth, Jack!

Hope you are just as successful tomorrow.  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That is a beautiful meg! The serrations are nearly perfect. Good luck tomorrow!

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

59 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Here is the best Meg...

Whooo man .. that is a beaut Jack. Say a prayer for our land-locked souls. I miss my time on the rivers. 

Cheers,

Brett

Hey Jack, I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your adventures and finds. Your positivity and wonder of both the hobby and the outdoors is always great to share in. I read your posts and end up smiling thinking about dredging up treasures or remembering the peacefulness of being out in nature. Thank you :tiphat:

Also that's a beautiful meg!

- James

• Thank You 1

Good morning Jack! Lovely tooth! And it sound like the rest of the finds were also nice. And good luck for your daily wade.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hello Jack! Beautiful tooth! No pics of the other finds? I was actually supposed to be in Bradenton this week and hoped the Peace was still low. You just answered my question. I actually had the tickets purchased and was going to call you.  But my daughter, at the last minute was able to break free to go with my wife. Unfortunately three IS A CROWD in his tiny apartment. So here I sit, caring for our 3 dogs and 2 cats and drooling over your finds!!!! Keep me drooling. 

Mike  

Awesome meg Jack, Glad you could get out:thumbsu:Ready to get out with you for a hunt! Found a new spot that might be worthwhile

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

2 hours ago, jcbshark said:

Found a new spot that might be worthwhile

@jcbshark   Glad to see you out, Jeff!!!!

14 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Hello Jack! Beautiful tooth! No pics of the other finds? I was actually supposed to be in Bradenton this week and hoped the Peace was still low. You just answered my question. I actually had the tickets purchased and was going to call you.  But my daughter, at the last minute was able to break free to go with my wife. Unfortunately three IS A CROWD in his tiny apartment. So here I sit, caring for our 3 dogs and 2 cats and drooling over your finds!!!! Keep me drooling. 

Mike  

Well Mike,  I had just completed a medical restriction to stay out of deep water for 10 days, and my wife was on a plane Tuesday going to help her sister move to a new home in South Carolina. She was leaving me to care for our two dogs, but she convinced a friend to visit our dogs for bio breaks/walks any day I needed to feed my fossil hunting urges.  Nirvana !!! Tuesday with one friend on the Peace River and Wednesday with another friend in a creek.

Mike, you have done this drill.  Back to back 14 hour days. Pics of the other finds are unfortunately lower priority. Eating and sleep come first.  Tomorrow off , but heading out Friday and Sunday. Might get to sorting and photos of all these trips Monday.

So all you get is one photo taken today ... On this sieve found 14 smaller and/or broken shark teeth plus 2 tiger shark teeth, a horse tooth, a gator scute, and an astragulas (as yet not IDed), but could be bison, camel, cow.

IMG_0165.thumb.JPEG.9e8e20f49673f96c8ab5ef8739089177.JPEG

@Fossildude19, @fossilhunter21 @Ludwigia @historianmichael @Brett Breakin' Rocks @Titan @jcbshark

Thanks to all for the good wishes. Looks like I am running hot right now. It happens over a 15 year fossil hunting experience. Sometimes out hunting , I find almost nothing , but now nice fossil are just dropping into my sieve. Just enjoying the bounty.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Great finds Jack! I had the good fortune to pick up two astragulas in the last two weeks.  I too will be out Friday - the coming rain could signal the end of the season.

37 minutes ago, PODIGGER said:

I too will be out Friday - the coming rain could signal the end of the season.

Just awake, Jim.  A lot of sore muscles, with this much effort after 10 days off. I can feel it also. The river is lower than I can recall, maybe 2010  and the threat of consistent rain looms closer and closer. Make hay while the sun shines. :fingerscrossed:

Good luck out there. I'm still sore from the last trip. Might try one more shot if the rains hold off a little longer.  :)

Nice finds with those teeth. I hunted all season and didn't find any larger nice teeth. Not once. 

I think it's time to rethink where I have been hunting and hit up some new spots - or revist some very old ones I have not laid eyes on in recent years.

Be careful out there and I can't wait to see what you find.