T. Rex tooth?

DatFossilBoy

Hey guys,

I bought this tooth as T.Rex from a reputable seller and a couple people have said it’s Rex but one also told me it’s nano because of the serrations.

If I could get confirmation that would be very helpful thanks.

Size: 1.18 inches

4966257D-5854-4FAD-9325-DC6596CEE7A4.jpeg

E892C050-92CB-4A75-A949-CA44D18BFE29.jpeg

E6BA8F28-E677-4F2B-9E29-F5FE6B8ABAA1.jpeg

F5A555C8-35CB-4692-BEC0-35D0D6ED34AA.jpeg

D3376367-3CCC-4B3A-AEA6-436A58C63503.jpeg

I agree that it could be Nanotyrannus because of the serrations. So I'm guessing Nano. Honestly not sure though.

Thats not nano

• Enjoyed 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Please understand most sellers are reputable however very few can properly identify dinosaur material that is not obvious.  Why you need to always verify what you are looking at before you buy.    I've done a study on a sizable group of Trex and Nanotyrannus teeth and concluded that on Nanotyrannus size teeth serration density is not a characteristic you can look at for identification.   Nanotyrannus dentary and maxillary teeth are rectangular in shape at the base with a pinch.  I'm sure there are exceptions since they are both Tyrannosaurids but other features like robustness of the tip and body can help.    Your tooth has an oval base very typical of a Trex dentary tooth and is fairly robust for its size.   So who ever told you Trex is correct. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

Awesome thank you very much I didn’t know that there were no notable serration differences between nano and Rex and thank you for the imput

27 minutes ago, DatFossilBoy said:

notable serration differences between nano and Rex and thank you for the imput

That's for equivalent size teeth.  Large Trex teeth can be very different 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1