Fossil hunting in Germany

Italo40

Hello everyone, 

this summer I'll spend a month in Germany for an internship project and in the weekends I'm planning to explore the region and collect fossils as much as possible. I'll be based near Frankfurt.

Due mostly to the language barrier I couldn't find many info about fossil hunting spots easily accesible or open to the public. Therefore I'm looking for your help here. Do you know any such place? I think that as long as it is a couple hours drive from Frankfurt, I can make it 

I read about the quarry in Eckelsheim, but I understand that it currently closed to fossil hunters. Is that right?

Thank yoy very much, 

Fabio

d38363634e82bd2496debea34727be50.jpg

Follow me on Instagram (@italian_fossilhunter).

Germany is a great place for fossiling.  Look into these places.... Buttenheim, Odernheim, there are a few public (free and pay) quarries in the Solnhofen area , Holzmaden (Ohmden).  I can't remember if I am spelling these places correctly, but certainly our German colleagues can help.  And a little further away, the quarry at Hannover. 

And some great museums in the area, esp the Senckenberg right there in Frankfurt. 

I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with any sites within easy driving distance of Frankfurt. The ones that jpc has mentioned are all good, but you would have to travel much longer to get to them. Maybe a visit to the Senckenberg museum and a chat with a resident paleontologist could give you some inspiration to more local sites.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/