Dinosaur foot or something else?

Fred007

Hi, new to this forum and looking for an expert eye, my parents have a rockery and as we live near the beach the majority of rocks are from the beach. One rock caught my eye and it seems to have fossil type feel, it looks like a Dinosaur claw/foot. Now it's either a fossil or I have been watching too many movies!! Any feedback will be appreciated. Thankyou

20210528_201658.jpg

20210528_201716.jpg

20210528_201730.jpg

20210528_201710.jpg

It would help if you would mention which beach you are talking about. Dinosaur footprints, although I don't think that this is one, can be found on some coastal sections in the UK.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

4 hours ago, Fred007 said:

Now it's either a fossil or I have been watching too many movies!!

Those two don't need to be mutually exclusive. ;)

I'm not very familiar with the rocks in your area where this item was found. I don't think there is enough visible in this item to definitely indicate that it is a dinosaur footprint. There are many many more natural geological processes that could result in this sort of texture so it would be a longshot for it to be a dinosaur footprint and not the result of something more common. Still, it is a nicely contrasting rock and should look great in the rockery. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

28 minutes ago, Haravex said:

There is a fossilized shell on one side, but no footprint here sadly.

Thanks for the local perspective. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

7 minutes ago, digit said:

Thanks for the local perspective. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Sorry my knowledge on invertebrates is sadly limited to descriptions like shell :(

1 hour ago, Haravex said:

Sorry my knowledge on invertebrates is sadly limited to descriptions like shell :(

But your knowledge of the types of fossils found in the UK give you a local edge in understanding the types of footprints that might be expected in your area and the rarity of such. That is why it is so nice to have members from around the globe who are more in tune with the local fossils. I've never collected in the UK (yet ;)) and the only thing I know about fossils from there are the ones I read about here from time to time.

Cheers.

-Ken

Hi all, I'm located in Sunderland North East at seaburn, the rockery is full of rocks from beach. If not what I think it is any other thoughts on what it could be?

Many Thanks, Fred

Apologies one last question, people have discussed Dinosaur footprint, what I see is more like bone formation on top of foot/claw rather than footprint which would be other way round. A foot print would be an impression of base of foot!?

Thanks

Ah, I see.

You are seeing the two white linear areas with cracks at roughly the same position which is leading you to the impression of toe bones with separate toe bones. Unfortunately, this rock does not show the texture or the precise shape that dinosaur bones would exhibit. It is Mother Nature having you on by providing naturally geological formations that are mimicking the appearance of what could be associated bones. Most folks figure that fossils don't quite look like the think they hope them to be because fossils would be somehow distorted or appear more vague due to the fossilization process. This may be true of some faint trace fossils but things like megafauna (e.g. dinosaur) bones they have a very definite bone texture to them and they retain quite a bit of the original shape and texture that the bones had in life.

It's a nice looking rock but it shows none of the telltale indications that would lead any of us to suspect it might be articulated bones.

Cheers.

-Ken

Hi, 

It's good you have seen the formation as I have, I will now rest my case after your comprehensive explanation!!

Cheers, Fred

20210601_170732.jpg