Bones...big bones

Shellseeker

Out again today (4th day this week) trying to beat the summer rains.

Big focus is bones, two of them.

The 1st bone seems to me to be a Calcaneum.

IMG_0231.thumb.JPEG.c991bcc35870d681f2c731a414e67291.JPEGIMG_0232.thumb.JPEG.82d7bd17193c26a7de8222b2ad96fcae.JPEG

The 2nd Bone.

IMG_0219crop.JPG.2b69d0deceab43403fb33834133b83eb.JPG

IMG_0220crop.JPG.1bd68a2d2785e9c01bfdd318a3d1773c.JPGIMG_0223.thumb.JPEG.cbd0e22042f763a9e3a314baf3436db8.JPEGIMG_0224crop.JPG.d7230bf2faf568332cee6680e654dc3f.JPG

• Enjoyed 4

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Sloth tibia

• I found this Informative 5
  • I Agree 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Sloth tibia is bone #1 here.  The second bone give me a sloth feeling, maybe the femur.  Let us know what it turns out to be.

• I found this Informative 6

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

2 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Sloth tibia

1 hour ago, Harry Pristis said:

Sloth tibia is bone #1 here.  The second bone give me a sloth feeling, maybe the femur.  Let us know what it turns out to be.

Help me here.  Remember that I am easily confused....

I went to this thread, 

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/104335-mastodon-or-mammoth-toe-bone/

which had this fantastic photo.... of a Sloth tibia...which is my Bone #2.... correct?  There seems to be some slight differences, but I am unsure which sloth provided the photo below.  Given the size of the bone, and the Peace River fauna, it would seem to be either Paramylodon harlani OR Megalonyx jeffersoni.

896.jpeg

Fossilonline has an almost exact bone for sale, and identifies as Paramylodon Tibia.  I will not provide the link but it is easy enough to find.

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Maybe you have got tibia and fibula there? Where they found close together? Sloths are strange critters indeed!

Best Regads,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Good goin Jack.  Looks like you had a purdy good day out there in the wilds!!!  :)

RB

I'm wrong about #1 being the tibia . . . I've had a similar bone mis-identified since before the Internet (yes, there was such a time).  Fibula seems right.

What seest thou else

1 hour ago, darrow said:

The bone in the first picture looks like it could be part of a pubis. 

#1 the end near the pubic arch

#2 the acetabulum

Thanks for another very possible possibility.  At first I thought the bone unbroken, but there are breaks at the very thin points marked in blue..sloth1mrked2.JPG.9dac1e6143ff44985b92a98d112efb47.JPG

That's because he's been putting in the time like a madman before the summer rains close this season.

Cheers.

-Ken

6 hours ago, RJB said:

Good goin Jack.  Looks like you had a purdy good day out there in the wilds!!!  :) RB

4 hours ago, PODIGGER said:

Jack - Looks like your having a great season no matter what the exact id is!

4 hours ago, digit said:

That's because he's been putting in the time like a madman before the summer rains close this season.

Cheers.  -Ken

True, so true Ken. I have done Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and going again tomorrow..  Make Hay while the Sun shines.

Ron, I have another birthday Tuesday... older than dirt. I have not pushed this hard since my hair was a lot darker. The muscles are sore but I am feeling good. As long as stuff like this is falling into my sieve, how can I say no ?

IMG_0256Paleolama_mirifica.thumb.jpg.6e2263b8afc9b9fcc8e2f6f0ccf9d657.jpg

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1

20 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

The second bone give me a sloth feeling, maybe the femur.  Let us know what it turns out to be.

Kind of a surprise to me.  It was so odd that I was thinking Sloth .... Got a reply from Richard Hulbert. Learned both something new and a new word.  zygopophysis. 

Tell me true.. Harry.  Had you heard the word zygopophysis previously?

Your mystery bone is actually a portion from the side of a cervical vertebra of a mastodon or mammoth. The indentation is the zygopophysis (were a portion of one vertebra overlaps onto the one). The sides of these cervical vertebrae often break off this way, so I have learned to recognize them.

Cheers, Richard

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Jack, I can’t keep up with your devotion. I need a couple of day break between hunts to recover. My back ain’t what it used to be. I am watching the USGS #’s closely and plan on a hunt Monday.  I have had a good year but can only hope to finish it out with a few more good finds.  No complaints from me as I have been very lucky with finds over the last two seasons. This year the fossil gods have continued to be kind  and I am grateful. It all comes down to the time you are willing to put in. Can’t wait to see what you find next!

jim 

41 minutes ago, PODIGGER said:

It all comes down to the time you are willing to put in. Can’t wait to see what you find next!

jim 

We are on the same page..

For whatever is causing my lower back issues,  shoveling gravel in deep water for long periods of time is therapeutic !!! I am in worse shape when I can not go to the river OR even worse when I go into the creeks and hunt in water lower than my knees.

I have had an unbelievable year,  month after month since last September. Its almost time to rest.

• Enjoyed 1

On 5/28/2021 at 9:41 PM, Shellseeker said:

The 2nd Bone.

IMG_0219crop.JPG.2b69d0deceab43403fb33834133b83eb.JPG

IMG_0220crop.JPG.1bd68a2d2785e9c01bfdd318a3d1773c.JPGIMG_0223.thumb.JPEG.cbd0e22042f763a9e3a314baf3436db8.JPEGIMG_0224crop.JPG.d7230bf2faf568332cee6680e654dc3f.JPG

This is the one that is definitely a sloth tibia.  Totally, completely awesome.  :beer:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Several years ago, I found a sloth vertebra in that same stretch of river. It would be crazy if it was the same critter.

Rainy season is knocking on the door. I had hoped to get in one more trip this coming week, but the forecast doesn't look good.

Here's the bone I thought resembled your #1 specimen, Jack.  I accepted someone's identification as "sloth tibia" many years ago, and hadn't thought about it since.  Tonight, I did some research and I find it is a SLOTH tibia.

sloth tibia.JPG

Edited by Harry Pristis
Correction of ID
  • I found this Informative 1

What seest thou else

Nice that this tibia talk has allowed you to go back and do a little research into an older specimen in your collection.

Cheers.

-Ken

3 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Here's the bone I thought resembled your #1 specimen, Jack.  I accepted someone's identification as "sloth tibia" many years ago, and hadn't thought about it since.  Tonight, I did some research and I find it is a giant armadillo tibia, not a sloth.

Harry,

I caused much of the confusion by tossing 2 roughly similar bones into a single request for identification. When the initial identification of Sloth Tibia came,  I did not know which bone was being IDed as a tibia. I had to search the internet to under what a Sloth tibia looks like and which of my 2 bones it might be.

It is always a good practice to have one thread per each ID request, I just have to relearn it every once in a while.

I looked at your Giant Armadillo tibia and considering they are both in the Xenatharan order, there are a lot of similarities between sloth and armadillo tibia, but also quite a few differences. For my files, I am pleased to have such excellent photos of the Armadillo tibia.  Thank you.

Recall that I initially thought the 1st bone was a overly large Calcaneum.  Not even close :DOH:.

I appreciate your support in identification of my fossils and your unique perspectives that help TFF.   Jack

Calcaneum_Marked.JPG.d65154cd0510d172afda752cd420a668.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 10:13 AM, Harry Pristis said:

Here's the bone I thought resembled your #1 specimen, Jack.  I accepted someone's identification as "sloth tibia" many years ago, and hadn't thought about it since.  Tonight, I did some research and I find it is a giant armadillo tibia, not a sloth.

1893911022_armadillotibia.JPG.b5c9f5d34be16d14d0c2741289554a4b.JPG

This piece is a ground sloth radius not a giant armadillo tibia. Looks paramylodon. 

slothradius.png

I think you're probably correct, stagmooser.  You asserted the ID with such certainty that I had to study the matter further.  I've seen your image before.  I think I was misled by the half moon of beige backdrop behind the homologous bone.  Without the backdrop, the bone is clearly a match.  Thanks for restoring my confidence in the earliest IDer.

sloth tibia abstract.JPG

sloth tibia.JPG

What seest thou else