Backpack recommendations

DocPom

Hey all,

I'm a newbie to fossil hunting and looking to get kitted out. With that in mind, can anyone give recommendations for backpacks - a separate thread described the SOG 18L which looks good, yet sadly the company do not ship internationally (I'm based in Germany).

Tips about things to look for/consider (sample storage, compartments etc) would be very welcome.

Many thanks.

I'm always a fan of army surplus packs.  They are typically cheap, have lots of room and pockets, and made to take abuse. You dont have to worry about tearing up an expensive brand new pack.

• I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Yup. Army surplus packs are the way to go. I put my equipment through the torments of Hades, and I've had cheap Chinese packs fail me.  

Here is my current setup, which allows me to have all my tools and accessories with me at all times in the field (including water). This is a 50+litre pack:

IMG_9253.jpegIMG_9251.jpegIMG_9252.jpeg

All the hammers, chisels, etc. It is weighted so that lugging 50+lbs of tools doesn't feel like it at all.  Zillions of sleeves and pockets. It is very well designed for weight distribution, and I can even slip additional tools in the outer ribbings. Clips for breast-bone and waist for better security.

Oh, and as a bonus, I stick a liner in this pack with a smaller backpack. If this pack fails, the liner is used as a backup, or it can double as a fossil surplus pack that I can wear on my front from a site. This thing is big enough to carry a small pry bar and about three days' worth of clothing and provisions. 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

A lot depends on what kind of fossil hunting you are doing. 

Backpacks are a good way to carry heavy loads of fossils and tools, especially if you need to hike at all to get to/from the site.

Tools, I tend to carry separately.  I have an LL Bean backpack for heavy finds, and a few tools. 

506337_222_41.jpg

Then I have a Estwing fossil bag that houses most of my tools.   This is a messenger bag style, and works well to carry my gear.

estwing-geologist-bags-and-belt-packs.jpg

I also have a smaller, waterproof canvas military surplus bag, that I use for extra specimens. This is also a messenger bag style. 

Similar to this one: 

067a1b1c8433dcbf44a2419b9799aee1.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

More information on your intended use (distance/terrain, what you're carrying, how much weight you intend to carry, etc) and any possible dual use (i.e. are you planning on using it for hiking/backpacking as well) would help here.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

That's a great set-up, @Fossildude19. The messenger bag also looks stylish. :D I've been fortunate to see you in action, and recognize your equipment.

It very much depends on how we are collecting. It also depends on the distance to the car, so if one is having to travel far on foot, it helps to have more equipment (tools, glues, beer, etc.). Although it adds to weight, better to have what you need on hand than having to trek back to the car. 

Pending circumstances, I generally use a two-stage process whereby the main pack is my HQ and I take a smaller pack of tools to explore. If in a big quarry, I'll park the big pack somewhere central and go off with something lighter only to return if I need something specific. I was never a boy scout, but the big pack has everything I could possibly need. 

The bonus of extra pockets/compartments comes in when one runs out of wrapping materials; those pockets can provide a bit of cushioning for finds on a temporary basis.

The one demerit of the bigger/heavier packs is if you're creeking in mud. That additional weight will sink you much farther. It makes scaling hills more challenging, but great exercise! You also don't want to be wearing it while scrambling steep rock piles as there is the possibility of falling backwards. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I’ve been using a “tactical” backpack lately that are modeled after the military packs. Although many of these style backpacks can be cheaply made and not hold up well, mine seems to be one of the better quality ones.

1A9F41EC-8412-4F0A-A2DF-FF3E7F819059.thumb.jpeg.d5b6283f0f7a56c43dae6681f3e665b8.jpeg

I also have a bucket tool holder that I use. When I first started it was my main piece of equipment for tool holding and fossil collecting, and I did as Kane by having it be a central place to return to while I ventured out, but these days it just holds extra tools that I may need for a specific site or those random tools that I find useful for certain occasions. I can grab the extra needed tools and throw them in the pack before heading out so it mainly stays in the truck. 

It’s also at the ready should I have an extremely good day and need to lug out lot of fossils. ;) 

83BD5A7D-ACDA-4546-BB42-F0508FCD92D3.thumb.jpeg.95d0c01c06ba347d2a147f6151d34236.jpeg

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Like others have said it all depends on the type of collecting you do.  When at a site   my backpack carries odd supplies like bug spray, uv protection, gloves and eats and I have a separate box for my tools.  My truck is my heavy lifter with items like plaster, shovel, picks,  umbrella.  If I go prospecting I travel very light with a simple backpack basic tools and light pick.

Edit:

My tool box ready for a dig,, heading out tomorrow to find me some dinosaurs 

20210601_052409.thumb.jpg.69ff37e0912cbd19946e89d0a1f95352.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

• 7 months later...

I'm a backpack nut due to my other hobby, so I have to agree that the military surplus bags are the best. I have a tendency to put my pack down a lot though, and the bottom of my packs get destroyed in rough terrain so I recently purchased a Hart tool backpack at Walmart for $60 it has a rubber re-enforced base that stands up on its own. Multiple pockets and loops. Very hardy and made of decent material. I've packed over 100 miles with it so far. It also has reflective fabric on it for after dark. The rear compartment isn't set up for a water bag but it has 2 Flys so I can leave a section open for the tube to lace to the loop on the shoulder pad. The only issue is there is no waist strap so I am having a friend make one to sew onto it for me for extra support. 

On another note im learning leatherworking and have made my first fossil pack! It functions well but is heavy so I will make a new one soon! 

16424744470586166037755660124366.jpg

1642474468493117367289226110568.jpg

16424745293853731700799386734095.jpg

Screenshot_20220117-220148_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220117-220152_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220117-220144_Instagram.jpg

received_394092081687652.jpeg

Edited by Keichhorn
Added information
  • I found this Informative 2

I have been looking for a used "ruck sack". Used for carrying like ball bats or foot balls but many places do not even have new ones or know of such. I have a camera backpack and find many or not waterproof or it is hard to find a rain cover.  Does anyone here spray treat their packs with tent waterproofing or silicone spray to resist water and dirt?