grg1109

Could this be an imprint from a Nautiloid Spyroceras nuntium in Sand stone?  (1st photo). 2nd photo is opposite side. 3rd photo = much smaller (I believe mud mold.  Why I ask is that it seems very large compared to the ones I've found...and to make sure of the id.  I forgot to add:  Middle Devonian, Cayuga Lake, King Ferry, NY.

Thanks

Greg

20210602_083606 (2).jpg

20210602_083329.jpg

Nautiloid Spyroceras nuntium 1.jpg

Edited by grg1109

I'm not sure if Spyroceras got that big.  :headscratch:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm unsure of the relationship between the first two photos and the third one.  The first two look like concrete to me.  I think the pattern is artificial (human-created) not fossil.  Does the third "mud mold" have any physical relationship to the first specimen?

Don

• I found this Informative 2

13 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I'm not sure if Spyroceras got that big.

I've only have 1 book that has Cephlapods in...and although it looks like this species...the book referances it's size as 30mm.  Although I'm sure it was flattened...I doubt it would have gotten this big.

FossilDAWG:  The first two photos are show opposite sides of the same stone...it acts and looks like sandstone.  The third photo is a seperate fossil from a different place...I included it only as a comparison of the markings.

Greg

@grg1109

Could it be an old clump of masonry mortar?

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Actually it might be some sort of concrete or something completly different...I just realized if it were an negative(like I thought) the "ridges" would be inverted ...and raised if it were a "positive" for a Cephlapod.  The first photo the ridges are raised and it is not a positive...so a big waste of time...I'm so observant!  Sorry

Thanks to all for your patience and time

Greg

Edited by grg1109

No problem, we have all been there.

Years ago I found a specimen that looked like a perfect scallop, almost exactly like the scallop on Shell gas station signs.  A few things were odd, though.  There was no actual shell, but it wasn't an internal mold either.  The second was that it was found on a hill side that exposed an Ordovician outcrop, and the scallop was decidedly un-Ordovician looking, it looked like a modern scallop made of "rock".  Also the "matrix" didn't really match the local rock.  Quite a while later, when I re-visited the site, I realized there was some broken pottery and other material from an old dump that was exposed at the top of the hill and was trickling down the hillside.  My "almost perfect scallop" actually was just a piece of pottery, and it was "too perfect" because it was a stylized rendition of a scallop not an actual shell.  Oops!

Don

• I found this Informative 2