Dragonfly wing or helicopter seed

CryptoJY

From what I've read and pictures I've perused I'm pretty convinced that this is a helicopter seed.  Anybody have some insight for me? The venation looks too . . . regular, soI'm undecided.  My son found it.  I hope the photo does it justice.

20210602_174116(0).jpg

You need to provide a lot more details. Age, location, formation, etc. 

Neat find! This actually looks like a cast of a piece of bivalve valve, possibly in the genus Actinopteria. What formation it was found in, and scale, would be helpful to narrow it down further. Here is an example from my collection, an Actinopteria bella from the Leighton Fm. The left picture shows the whole specimen, while the right picture shows where your specimen could come from (red dashed):

288444358_Actinopteriabella1.thumb.jpg.c29bfdb28dff59aa29ebcddb3b6f677b.jpg   470522733_abellaforTFF.thumb.jpg.8cf243a91de09a76b1b6a569b01d259d.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

1 minute ago, Mainefossils said:

Neat find! This actually looks like a cast of a piece of bivalve valve, possibly in the genus Actinopteria. What formation it was found in, and scale, would be helpful to narrow it down further. Here is an example from my collection, an Actinopteria bella from the Leighton Fm. The left picture shows the whole specimen, while the right picture shows where your specimen could come from (red dashed):

288444358_Actinopteriabella1.thumb.jpg.c29bfdb28dff59aa29ebcddb3b6f677b.jpg   470522733_abellaforTFF.thumb.jpg.8cf243a91de09a76b1b6a569b01d259d.jpg

Ah I see. I couldn't see that this is a broken piece of bivalve. Good Eye!

From what I remember, Devonian is one of the era where it lives in. 

Thanks! Yes, I believe that they ranged from the Devonian - Silurian. 

• I Agree 1

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

54 minutes ago, Mainefossils said:

52 minutes ago, Tetradium said:

Ah I see. I couldn't see that this is a broken piece of bivalve. Good Eye!

From what I remember, Devonian is one of the era where it lives in. 

I agree, it's part of a bivalve. I've found similar things from the Mahantango Formation, which is middle Devonian, in Pennsylvania. 

Bivalve; Paleontology; Mahantango formation Beltzville Dam, Carbon County,  Penns... on eHive

Not my specimen, but a similar one from the Mahantango. 

• I Agree 1

I agree that it is definitely not a thin seed structure like suggested. The matrix looks more marine than terrestrial or swamp fill which is typically what plant fossils would be found in. Especially the more delicate ones. 

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Nice one, a mollusc doing a great impression of a helicopter seed.

Best regards,

J

• Enjoyed 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Thank you all for your input.  Here is some of the info you are needing.  I do agree that a bivalve makes sense. I couldn't figure out why the pattern was so even.  It was found along Swatara Creek in PA where they dumped the fossil shale that used to be under/near route 81.  There are lots of brachiopods gastropods and crinoids so a mollusk makes sense. It didn't occur to me that it waa only a partial impression. Thanks for the help!