9 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

N95 masks are good if that’s what you can get. Make sure it is fitted well. A P100 mask with a set of cartridges will run you around $40 with replacement cartridges around $25. Over time, the respirator is the cheaper option. But, I understand availability of funds! :Confused05:

Ahh, so the dust collectors aren’t a necessity? That makes the whole thing much more affordable. Lol. 

9 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

if you’re in an apartment, a compressor and scribe are probably out of the picture due to noise. You will get complaints from the neighbors. 

I will be in an apartment, most likely, but it’ll be a cottage style. I won’t have neighbors under or on top of me, but I will on the sides. Could I have a setup in a backyard with a roof where I could do prep? Or would it be bad? I won’t be in a severe environment, it’s between 50-80 degrees for most of the year. 

7 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

If youre in an apartment, they are definitely out.... If youre using a mask instead of dust collector system, you entire apartment will end up covered in dust very quickly.  Dust is fine when you working in a shed like I do.  If youre also a teenager, your parents will kill you for the mess, LOL.  

snarge. What if I built like a shed in the backyard and prepped there? 
Even if I was in a room with the door closed? Not trying to be unreasonable, just trying to figure it out. 
Lol, they’re good abt fossils, but they might not like a ton of noise & mess hahaha.

You would have to work pretty hard to sound proof your shed. I get away with running a compressor incessantly because of the distance to the neighbors’ houses.

You don’t have that luxury so you have to sound proof. That can get cumbersome and you will have significant heat build up in the shed from running the compressor.

I’m just about ready to move beyond simple prepping. I’ve been using brushes, a dremel rotary tool, and a pin vice with a needle. I’m thinking of getting some sort of air abrasive tool. So it sounds as though I’ll need a blast cabinet and some sort of dust collection system. I’m not handy at making my own equipment, and it sounds like most people on FossilForum don’t think too highly of commercially made blast cabinets. 
@Thomas.Dodson posted a

nice home-made dust collection system. I’m having a hard time understanding it though, even with the pictures. One thing I don’t get is how the intake pipe can be below the water level without having water back up into the intake pipe. Actually, I don’t really understand the setup. 

5 minutes ago, tombk said:

I’m just about ready to move beyond simple prepping. I’ve been using brushes, a dremel rotary tool, and a pin vice with a needle. I’m thinking of getting some sort of air abrasive tool. So it sounds as though I’ll need a blast cabinet and some sort of dust collection system. I’m not handy at making my own equipment, and it sounds like most people on FossilForum don’t think too highly of commercially made blast cabinets. 
@Thomas.Dodson posted a

nice home-made dust collection system. I’m having a hard time understanding it though, even with the pictures. One thing I don’t get is how the intake pipe can be below the water level without having water back up into the intake pipe. Actually, I don’t really understand the setup. 

Although I have a fairly workable lab, I think I would also prosper in seeing @Thomas.Dodson's blueprint on dust collection if it would spare my shop vac. So count me in as a second request for him to make us a primer when he has the time!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, tombk said:

That would be the intake in reference to the box. Dust flows from the box, down the pipe and under water, and is trapped there. The connection to the vacuum is well above the water level to prevent water getting sucked up.

I'll see about writing a primer for it and breaking it down into a diagram tomorrow. It should be pretty easy to understand if you see it on a diagram.