New Jersey Cretaceous after the storms (Mosasaur heavy)

frankh8147

Hello everyone!

I was able to sneak out to one of my favorite NJ Cretaceous spots following the storms and had a really nice trip in a short period of time so I figured I would share!

The turtle shell is soft-shelled so that actually probably my rarest find of the day. I also found one and a half Mosasaur teeth. The one in the separate picture is the thinnest one I ever found (out of 60+ Mosasaur teeth) but it checks all the other boxes for Mosasaur so that's what I have it labeled as. The vert is pretty cool because it still has some processes attached. Add in the Ratfish and the Enchodus jaw section and I'll call it a good trip! :)

20210603_090421~3.jpg

20210603_093429~2.jpg

20210603_093549~2.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 10

Way to go Frank!:thumbsu:

• Thank You 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Wow and wow Frank! Any one of those finds would have been an excellent day for most of us. Congratulations, thanks for sharing, and setting such a tall bar. 

• Thank You 1

Awesome finds! That mosasaur vert and turtle shell piece are really cool.

• Thank You 1

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Hi Frank, awesome finds! If you don't mind my asking do you ever find any of the back of fish jaws (quadrate or angular) or operculums?

• Thank You 1

Wow! What a haul! That trip definitely paid off! :Smiling:

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

6 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Wow and wow Frank! Any one of those finds would have been an excellent day for most of us. Congratulations, thanks for sharing, and setting such a tall bar. 

Thanks Jeff! As you know very well, my digging areas aren't exactly loaded with fossils so any of these would've been a trip maker for me too! It was just one of those days when every crazy idea I came up with worked!

4 hours ago, Titan said:

Hi Frank, awesome finds! If you don't mind my asking do you ever find any of the back of fish jaws (quadrate or angular) or operculums?

That's a GREAT question! I have to be honest, I display the ones with teeth (image below) and throw other pieces into the 'bone bins' but I'm sure I do, I would just have to find them. If you are studying them, feel free to send me a message!

20210603_180648~3.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, historianmichael said:

Awesome finds! That mosasaur vert and turtle shell piece are really cool.

Thanks Michael! I tend to look for this in specific locations because it's a fresh-water turtle in a primarily salt water deposit. 

20210603_115433~2.jpg

Edited by frankh8147
  • Enjoyed 2

Nice finds Frank! The turtle shell is looking great. I have a mosi tooth that looks similar to the one you found.

IMG_8918.thumb.JPG.7bf0f88e8f4d54db99bec238c9f092aa.JPG

Edited by Trevor
  • Enjoyed 1

: )

10 hours ago, Trevor said:

Nice finds Frank! The turtle shell is looking great. I have a mosi tooth that looks similar to the one you found.

IMG_8918.thumb.JPG.7bf0f88e8f4d54db99bec238c9f092aa.JPG

Yeah look at that! Looks like it's twin! :)

Great finds, Frank! 

Thanks for sharing them! :) 

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me