Tumidocarcinus Prep

Ptychodus04

I took a break from working in contract preps last night and spent an hour with the Super Jack attacking the crab that I got from @Doctor Mud. This far, the crab doesn’t appear to be sticky or covered in calcite. :fingerscrossed:

4D46D19B-6ED0-475E-992D-06901063CD8C.thumb.jpeg.7095c5d2d33effe0c7a8973855d5c59e.jpeg

0B8856C1-E6E5-4F9A-92E8-7B45CAF00080.thumb.jpeg.707c938b9b53034069a7c9a11764a6a6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 7

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Looking at the first picture with the direction on it. Is that from splitting it and gluing back together? Is that how you determined which side was up?

1 hour ago, aerogrower said:

Love this. Like opening a surprise gift!!

A very slow and tedious opening!

1 hour ago, aerogrower said:

Looking at the first picture with the direction on it. Is that from splitting it and gluing back together? Is that how you determined which side was up?

I think Craig used x-ray vision (or decades of collecting crabs) to mark it for me. I'm just glad he did because I can't read these concretions at all. There's no breaks in the concretion at all, so as long as I don't botch the prep, it should be a great crab.

• I found this Informative 1

I have 100% absolute faith in you Kris.  The only thing you have to worrie about is wether or not the claw tips go under the 'face' or not.  Best of luck and have fun.

RB

• Thank You 1

Nice job so far, can't wait to see your progress on it.

Now that I have my scribes/air hammers set up , I need to get a hold of a crab to prep myself.

• Enjoyed 1

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

• 6 months later...

I know I started a thread about this crab a while ago but I can’t find it. I received this beast in trade from @Doctor Mud about a year ago and prepped on it for a bit until I found carapace and then got busy with other work. 

Contract work slows down around the holidays, so I’m back at the big boy. Trying to get it out of the lab. :thumbsu:

I’m about 23 hours into it so far with at least double that to go.1D0D8494-6D22-445E-8903-42BDD2926C50.thumb.jpeg.099572cde58e49fe3a7d34f6d5b01491.jpeg

I know @Ludwigia is going to hate me but here’s another Instagram VIDEO:shakehead:

This crab turned out to be really sticky but it’s the best Tumidocarcinus I’ve ever gotten to prep. Maybe bc it’s the first. :default_rofl:

• Enjoyed 5

I feel your pain on these slow moving preps. I have one on the go that is almost solid chert where the big ME-9100 struggles to chew off about a square centimetre of exposure to the fossil an hour. :default_faint:

It’s looking good, though! (Your crab, not my cherty nightmare :P ).

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

7 minutes ago, Kane said:

I feel your pain on these slow moving preps. I have one on the go that is almost solid chert where the big ME-9100 struggles to chew off about a square centimetre of exposure to the fossil an hour. :default_faint:

It’s looking good, though! (Your crab, not my cherty nightmare :P ).

I’ve had preps like that one as well. Come to think of it, every Diplurus newarki prep that I’ve done has been that slow and painful. Super hard rock + super small bones + the super hard rock turns the color of the bones when you touch a scribe to it!!! :duh2: 

Your chert prep would be relegated to the dumpster in my lab most likely, unless there’s something really amazing inside. Then, I would probably still consider throwing it away. :P

Thankfully, on this crab, I’m able to eat away some significant rock with the Super Jack. It appears to be running slow until you stop and look at the mess on the bench. Maybe I’ll do a time lapse video of that monster in action…

• Enjoyed 2

I was recently wondering what happened to this tumido. I'm glad to see you've found some time to progress the prep on this guy. I finally got my hands on tumido concretion but I've been holding off on starting to prep it until I get some lab upgrades, specifically a microscope. Perhaps after the fund sponge known as Christmas. 

6 hours ago, Fossilis Willis said:

I was recently wondering what happened to this tumido. I'm glad to see you've found some time to progress the prep on this guy. I finally got my hands on tumido concretion but I've been holding off on starting to prep it until I get some lab upgrades, specifically a microscope. Perhaps after the fund sponge known as Christmas. 

Yah, it’s been hiding on my workbench so long that I had to give it a little love.

Seems there’s always something diverting funds from useful projects around my place as well. 

Before even reading your post I could see that crab was sticky.  That sure does slow down a prep job but still can be a super fossil.   best of luck

RB

14 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I know I started a thread about this crab a while ago but I can’t find it.

Topics merged.  ;)

• Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Before even reading your post I could see that crab was sticky.  That sure does slow down a prep job but still can be a super fossil.   best of luck

RB

Yep, the matrix is almost glued to the shell! At least I’m not on a time budget. :P

19 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Topics merged.  ;)

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks for digging this up and merging them. 

• Enjoyed 1

I'm still trying to find an easy set up for posting videos without any real effort on my behalf (other than Instagram) and I don't really want to start a YouTube account but that might be best as I'll readily eat up my allowed storage on my website...

Edited by Ptychodus04