Early Cretaceous large Lizard Fish Jaw

Huntlyfossils

After our two-day fossil hunt in NW Queensland, Australia we collected a few specimens and fish mash material to sort for micro fossils at home. I collected a pieces of mudstone/siltstone with a few lizard fish teeth sticking out I didn't think much of it at the time. Once home I washed and started to prep the fossil, I was happy to find and expose a large section of its jaw. While lizard fish fossils are extremely common, I was happy with the result. Please let me know what you think of the prep and what else I can do this has been a weak point of my fossils collecting ,the fossils are of Early Cretaceous, Albian, Toolebuc Formation.

20210603_121714.jpg

20210603_202028.jpg

20210603_202108.jpg

20210603_120343.jpg

20210603_120353.jpg

20210603_120402.jpg

20210603_120414.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

4 hours ago, erose said:

looks fishy

Yes it is fish common name lizard fish i cant remember its scientific name thou. Fish jaws are very common too however this is the largest one i have found.This fish is extremely common in the deposits with some layers comprised of compressed fish bones and other fish material locally known as fish mash. We often collect this and sort through as sharks teeth and other rarer fossils can be found in it.