Possible Petrified Wood?

DVL

I'm told this may be petrified wood but it looks a bit different from the petrified wood I've seen from the southwestern states. Found on a beach in  northeast US. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you --Dwight

IMG-7365 (1).jpg

IMG_7376.jpg

IMG_7362.jpg

IMG_7370.jpg

IMG_7373.jpg

IMG_7377.jpg

IMG_7384.jpg

IMG_7383 (1).jpg

IMG_7374.jpg

This is not wood. It looks like metamorphic rock to me possibly with volcanic intrusion. Such rocks are common on the Maine coast.

Edit I should have said igneous intrusion, beneath the surface. On the Maine coast it is a result of crustal spreading during the break up of Pangea.

Edited by Rockwood
  • I found this Informative 1

I would have thought it wood  this certainly isnt the first time i was wrong but it seems to have grain

Hi, I could not have excluded wood for sure, but it is well inside what I know of metamorphic rocks, those often show that woodgrain-like structure. Nice colours!

Edited by Mahnmut
spelling

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks for the replies. It does look like the rocks from coastal Maine (this was found farther south, on Block Island). Does anyone know what would cause the holes in the white bands?

3 minutes ago, DVL said:

Thanks for the replies. It does look like the rocks from coastal Maine (this was found farther south, on Block Island). Does anyone know what would cause the holes in the white bands?

What people omitted was that this is jasper/flint. Part of the quartz family. Nearly pure amount as well too. I suspects the pits might be gases trapped as the lava cooled down but I hadn't heard any real theories about it as pits also occurs in lake superior agates as well too. 

2 hours ago, DVL said:

Block Island

It would appear that you have the good folks of Connecticut to thank for lending the 'Block' during the ice ages. Maybe @Fossildude19 is the one to consult ? 

• Thank You 1