Articulated Psittacosaurus, near complete, display ready

sneakyelf

Here is a ready-to-display psittacosaurus on a custom built armature that I am willing to trade for something special.

All bones displayed are real bone, no repros to fill in gaps. Total length just over 36 inches.  All bones are attached to the armature reversibly (museum wax, wire, string). The base is black walnut. The framework is welded steel.  IT is sitting on a placemat for size reference.

I have a second psittacosaurus that is not mounted, the bones are redder in color, and it was previously mounted with many glued joints. That one is almost four feet long and needs some work to make it look as nice as this mounted one. I'd trade that one too.

Here in the States since 1990s. Please feel free to ask any questions. 

1425847137_IMG_25372.thumb.JPG.65002eaec2a02ec333ece634d324b7c6.JPG

IMG_2542.jpg IMG_2536.JPG  
IMG_2533.JPGIMG_2538.JPG

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

IMG_2530.JPG

IMG_2529.JPG

IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_2539.JPG

• Enjoyed 7

Oh wow! That’s nuts! What are you interested in? Doubt I have something that’d be worth it, but I could give it a shot.
That would be a good starter for me

I find the simple, but massive wooden base very appealing. To my eye, it is attractive without detracting from the lovely specimen. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Typically, you should mention what you would trade this item for.  ;) 

@sneakyelf

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I would trade this item for a nice skull, or some other complete fossil, or a complete limb or hand or foot (maybe).  I prefer dinos over mammals. I prefer missing pieces rather than lots of recon. Dream find is a hadrosaur skull. Arrangements can be made if need be, for something truly extraordinary. I know it is a big ask...but I only have so much time to dig in Montana to find what I am looking for.      

In short, this is a collection highlight and I would like to trade it for one.  

Thanks everybody!

1 hour ago, sneakyelf said:

Here you go!

IMG_2544.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

It's heavily damaged but still marvelous! I can offer you my top 3 prized fossils of my collection interested?

Wow! Both nice fossil specimens. I know I don’t have anything in my collection worth trading for either one! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Psittacos are always nice, a pleasure to see yours. Do you make the display-stand yourself?

I ask because we also have a nice skeleton to assemble and look for ideas to do

a rare deep-chocolate-brown one, I add a pic of the fantastic skull. Size of the whole skeleton is around 95 cm

2217_Psittaco.jpg

2218_Psittaco.jpg

Edited by rocket
  • Enjoyed 1

• 1 month later...

Yes.  I welded the armature and have it attached to a wood base.  I used museum wax to attach the ribs to the metal and otherwise used string or gravity to keep the bones on the armature.  I prefer to create armatures that do not require glue and do not require any holes in bone or any other damage to bone.

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for respond and the infos how you do it. Better without glue..., destroys the bones sometime. Not easy to do a stand like the nice one you did for your Psittaco, I will try my best end of the year, or next, or..., give it to a professional metalworker :rolleyes:

might be better...

So there's no way in heck I have anything special enough to trade for this - but I did want to ask just as a curiosity thing, what would you consider trading it for? It's such a cool display and fossil set, and so very well done!

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

• 6 months later...